CHAPTER 5 - part 3 - MOTHER KNOWS BEST

MOTHER KNOWS BEST

As evening came, her mother told Megha to get ready for her meeting with Rajeev at a nearby park. After much cajoling and pleading, finally Megha accepted defeat.

Rajeev was waiting for her at a predetermined place. He was an extremely handsome guy, wearing the usual work suit of officers. Seeing him, Megha felt under-dressed and shabby in her casual attire and makeup – or rather, lack of makeup. He got up with a polite smile as she reached near him.

"Hi Megha. I'm Rajeev." He extended his hand in introduction.

"Hello, Rajeev." She said awkwardly and extended her own hand. He shook her hand lightly and then suggested a walk.

They spoke about their respective families and profession. Rajeev went on about his schooling, friends and his present job. His spoke well, but she could detect a hint of pride in it.

"Well, he has worked hard to earn this job and salary – he has the right to be proud, doesn't he?" Megha questioned herself.

"So, let us now get into the matter Megha. I'm interested in marrying you. What is your opinion?" Rajeev asked.

Megha was a bit taken aback by his way of asking the hand of a girl in marriage.

"What did you expect Megha, the guy to be on his knee, proclaiming his undying love and requesting you to wear his ring? That's in the films, not in real life." She chided herself.

"Well, you see-"

Suddenly his phone rang. He looked at the caller's name, gave Megha an apologetic smile and answered the call.

"I'm deeply sorry for your loss Ma'am. The thing is that I'm rather new to this office and have just started getting acquainted to the workers - but I promise no further problem will be caused to your project and all that have occurred will be corrected as soon as possible. Now please accept my apology and rest assured. Good day to you!"

His words reminded her of someone else, who had spoken to her in the same tone.

"That Mr. Disaster!" she remembered. "He did seem to be new to the job. Maybe I was a bit too harsh to him, seeing the condition of my rose plant. But doesn't he speak a bit too refined for a gardener?" Megha was puzzled.

"So, what is going on in your mind?" Rajeev asked.

"Hmm? Nothing... just thinking ..." Megha was still in her thoughts.

"You don't have anyone else in your thoughts, I hope." Rajeev asked, half-teasing and half-uncertain.

That question immediately brought Megha back to earth.

"What! No,no. Then I would've told you as soon as we met." Megha replied.

"Then, what is your answer?"

"Well, Rajeev, I'm sure any girl would be happy to marry you."

"And you?"

"I need time to think."

"So, how much time do you need?" Rajeev asked, trying to hide irritation from his voice.

Megha noticed it.

"Well, you can't be blamed for getting irritated."

"No, I-"

"It's okay, Rajeev. But I need at least a week's time to think about this."

"Well, that's okay, I guess. I'll tell my family to wait before they contact yours officially."

Megha was suddenly overwhelmed with the image of having to stand all dressed up in front of dozens of strangers. She bade a hasty goodbye and hurried home, with a confused mind.

After dinner, her mother came to her room to know Megha's opinion about Rajeev.

"He is nice, Ma... is handsome and polite, has a good job, and speaks gentlemanly..."

"Ah, I'm relieved. So, is it a yes?"

"I don't know..."

"What else do you seek in a guy, Megha?"

"I feel like we are setting up a business deal."

"What? I assure you, his parents are well-educated and will never demand dowry. They are above all that."

"That's not what I meant, Ma. I feel like there are no actual emotions attached to our conversation... he smiles, but it is full of worry about what I'm going to say next."

"He's worried because he likes you Megha, don't you see that?"

"But-"

"And you can't expect openness in a relation so soon. You just met him today, for God's sake!"

"What if our likes and dislikes don't match, Ma?"

"Do you actually think every couple has the same interests? No... Haven't you seen how people of different nature become best friends? Take Prerna and you for example - she's a laid-back, rule-breaker type of girl... and you, my little miss perfect!"

"Maaa...."

"Didn't you start enjoying life more after being friends with her? And didn't she learn when to put on the no-nonsense attitude?"

"I suppose so."

"Similarly, you and Rajeev will also get along - just make sure he's an honest gentleman."

"If you say so..."

"We will not pressure you, Megha. But, if you want our opinion, your father and I approve of him."

"I asked him to give me one week's time at least. And I think I should talk to him a bit more before making my decision."

"Of course! We will visit his family soon."

"No, Ma!"

"Relax,Megha! Not to fix anything, but to re-acquaint ourselves... and while we, the elders catch up, you two can go out and have your talk peacefully somewhere."

"Well...okay.."

"That's my girl! Now, you have your project works at your department tomorrow, don't you? Stop worrying and go to sleep. I'm switching off the lights in five minutes." Vidya concluded.

                       ***************************