CHAPTER 25 - part1 - A LESSON OUTSIDE CLASSROOM

CHAPTER 48 A LESSON OUTSIDE CLASSROOM

Shilpa was idly making abstract designs on the margin of her notebook during class. It was the first period after lunch and she could hear Megha Ma'am going on and on about some poem, but she didn't feel like listening at all. The interference of Rashmi in her life has ruined the little amount of peace and comfort she had found with her new friends.

There were only a few people, like her newly acquainted friends, who had cared for her at least briefly and she too felt that only they deserved her love. She loved her Dad, but he didn't have time for her, only expensive gifts. She had tried to love her sister, but always felt as if she were her undesirable shadow whenever they went out together. Rashmi was a lot more talented than her and possessed the least amount of modesty: she never let go any opportunity to show off.

And honestly, she no more cared about her sister or the opinion of the world in general. Her new friends had shown her the way and they'll help her reach her goal. But till then, she needed to stay in the campus, pretending to study and stay away from the watchful Megha Ma'am.

"Shilpa Mishra."

Shilpa was startled by Megha's call. She hastily closed her notebook and stood up.

"Will you help me carry these answer papers to my quarters? I didn't take my car today and can't possibly walk back all the way carrying these bundles alone. So, will you help me?" Megha asked politely.

How can I refuse when you ask in front of the whole class? If you plan to brainwash me with all goody-goody advices, then you'll surely fail, Ma'am.

Shilpa thought irritatedly, but replied in an even tone:

"Okay, Ma'am."

"Great. Come along, then." Megha replied brightly and marched ahead smartly.

Shilpa followed her in a slower pace. By the time she reached in front of Megha's office, she was already locking the door. She was carrying her usual college bag and three bundles.

"Here. Take these two." Megha handed over two moderately heavy bundles to her.

Shilpa accepted without a word.

As they exited the department, Megha began talking.

"My niece's class teacher called just a few moments ago, saying she's having stomach ache and not taking part in dance practice. So, I need to pick her from her KG before going to quarters. Are you okay with that?"

"Hmm." She replied disinterestedly.

They walked in silence till they reached the park outside the KG. A small girl who was sitting on a swing sprang up at their sight and ran to Megha.

"Chachi!"

Megha bend down and scooped the girl into her free arm.

"How are you feeling now, Nanhi?" She asked with concern.

"I'm okay. Let's go." Nanhi, the little girl replied with a giggle and gave Shilpa a conspirational wink.

Shilpa was taken aback by the girl's display of familiarity and couldn't help being a bit pleased deep down.

The group of three women started walking towards the staff quarters.

"Are you sure you are okay, my princess? Your teacher told me that you were so sick that you couldn't even dance." Megha still sounded worried.

"I'm ok, Chachi. I told Rani Teacher I had stomach ache so that you'll come and pick me early. And we can make and eat the popcorn we bought yesterday." Nanhi replied, sounding pleased at her brilliance.