CHAPTER 49 - part1 - TRIPLE JOY

CHAPTER 76 TRIPLE JOY

No words could describe Mohan's happiness as he supervised the final preparations at the hotel. The party was scheduled to start in half an hour and he was already dressed for the occasion. It was not a grand affair; just a small affair for the immediate family members to meet and welcome the new addition to their family. Hence, he didn't know why his Papa insisted he should call "that little girl Nanhi and her entire family." When he enquired his Ma, she breezed over the matter, saying Arvind might've taken a liking to them since Megha had played an important role in changing his perspective. Mohan didn't pursue the matter lest his Papa change his mind on seeing his curiosity. 

As he was engrossed in checking the buffet arrangements, his brother Mahesh hurried in.  

"Mohan, is everything in order?" He asked, slightly out of breath. 

"Yes, it is. Why don't you go home and see whether everyone is ready?" Mohan suggested.  

"Nidhi is seeing to that. I have to go and receive my in-laws. Will you manage here?" He asked. 

"Of course, Bhayya. Go ahead." Mohan offered. 

With a hasty nod, Mahesh exited. Just as Mohan was turning back to work, he noticed someone else entering the hall, someone he had not seen for five months. 

"Megha!" He turned around to greet her happily. 

She was dressed elegantly and looked radiant as she hurried to him. But the expression on her face was not happiness; she looked tensed, almost frantic. 

"Do you know that man who exited right now? The tall one in blue shirt who just left in a Swift?" She asked urgently without any preamble. 

"That's my brother." Mohan replied, quite baffled by the urgency in her tone. 

"Did he work in US as a software engineer? Is his wife Nidhi? Did they have a small child who got lost four years back in a train accident?" She took hold of his arms and asked rapidly, eyes wide in anticipation. 

"Yes, it's all true. But how do you-" 

"I was there, Mohan." Tears were now streaming down Megha's eyes. He could see out of the corner of his eye her family entering the hall, but his attention was solely on Megha. "I was with them when the accident happened. More precisely, I was holding their child when all of a sudden, the compartment plummeted into the river." She gasped. 

Ved came forward just then. 

"Come on you two. Let's not alarm the workers. Let's sit and talk." He placed his hands on their shoulders and led them to the nearby table. 

Mohan followed numbly as Megha's words began sinking in slowly. As they sat down, Mrs Vyas, Mahi and Nanhi approached them.  

That's the reason for her fear! And what all did I call her that day? Mohan realised with a pang.  

Hold on! She said she was holding onto their child. Did the little one slip out of her hands, then? Or is she alive somewhere? Did they put her in some government child care centre? 

As he was about to voice his question, a little voice cut him off. 

"Why are you crying, Chachi?" Nanhi approached Megha and asked concernedly. 

"Out of happiness, my Rapunzel." Megha scooped her up into her lap and hugged her tight. Wiping off the tears frantically, she placed Nanhi down and nudged her towards Mohan. 

"Did you say hello to your Green Uncle? Or shall I say, Chachu?" Megha pointed her brilliant watery gaze at him and Mohan felt waves of realisation passing through his senses: