CHAPTER 3 - part 3 - DEPARTURE AND ARRIVAL

DEPARTURE AND ARRIVAL

Kochi didn't suit Nidhi at all. On the contrary, it kept disturbing her more. The first instance was when she saw the downstairs room specially decorated by Indu for her "little Devu". None of the other members had thought of the chance of Nidhi seeing that room the first day itself. Then came the nosy neighbours, who wanted to know where the Bhatnagars had gone the last few days and when their elder son had come home. Finally, Mahi decided to accept an offer from an Australian company and shift to there for some time till Nidhi became her old, talkative self.

Soon after they left, Mohan's posting order came, recruiting him in Delhi. Indu didn't want to part her "Monu" soon after the family came through such a tragedy. And thus, they left their leased home at Kochi forever, without waiting for any farewell and headed off to Delhi, hoping for a better home, better neighbours and a better life.

                 **********************************

Meanwhile, Megha and her father happened to find the complaint filed by Mahesh at the Trichy Police Station. The contact number no longer worked and so, they decided to find the address. The house at Kochi was now leased out to someone else. The neighbors were of little help. None had seen Mahesh or Nidhi, but told ridiculous stories about how his parents disappeared one day with his younger brother.

In spite of all this, Megha and family continued their search, but no Mahesh Bhatnagar could be found in the US even by using up all the contacts and means they had.

Finally, after almost a year of futile search, Megha started believing that the little one must have been meant for her. The bond which had formed between her and the Vyas family was so profound, that no one would think she's not a member. She had become her father's pet, her mother's doll, her brother's playmate and her life.

After vigorous thinking, one evening, Megha decided to ask her family's opinion on a matter which had been troubling her for quite a long time now:

"I know I'm unemployed, unmarried and all that. But I would like to adopt Nanhi legally and take care of her throughout my life as my own."

Megha waited for her family's opinion with baited breath.

Her parents looked at each other and then her father said:

"I have been thinking of doing the legal stuff myself Megha. It is hightime she became our family member in every sense. But I'm not sure they'll deem you fit to adopt Nanhi if you move the papers. As you pointed out, you are unmarried and most importantly, unemployed."

"You are right, Papa", Megha drooped in disappointment.

"But there is no harm in trying if you are a married Government employee with a steady income, good financial condition and a loving family."

Her father turned to look at her mother, who in turn, assured him with a slight nod of her head. Megha was confused at first, then she realized: her parents will adopt Nanhi!

Megha had no words to express her happiness, but Mahi thought of an excellent way. He came out with Nanhi in one hand and her favorite baby-songs CD in the other. Vidya went to the kitchen to make everyone's favourite evening snacks and Ved went out for cake and icecream. Undoubtedly, that night turned out to be the best one in the memory of everyone in the family. And it was remembered for years to come, as the first birthday celebration of Miss Navika Vyas.

                  *********************************