CHAPTER 25 - part2 - CONFESSIONS OF A GIRL

CHAPTER 49 CONFESSIONS OF A GIRL

Mohan had fulfilled number 1, 6 and 7 in his to-do list as weekends approached. Number 2 was obviously not possible till he got an invite for the next meeting and he could do nothing more than wait patiently and hopefully right now. He had tried number 3, but it resulted in the scowling and doubtful faces of the people he had asked. So, he had to stop the enquiry about girls in Ladies Hostel lest they kick him out of the job. In the present condition, number 5 seemed to be a distant dream to him. So, Mohan was doing the only other thing in his power right now - number 4.

Both he and Guru were off the duty that day and hence, sat discussing the case inside their room. He described the meeting with Alex in detail and about the plan of action he prepared to Guru. But before he showed his to-do list to Guru, he tore off the bottom portion of the paper on which number 8 was written, crumbled it and deposited it in his pants pocket. Guru accepted the suspiciously torn paper with a slight frown but thankfully didn't question him about the tear. The file in which they kept case-related items lay opened on Guru's bed as the two brainstormed seeking some idea.

"Hmm. So, we need some inside information on Ladies Hostel. And your attempts to get it from the staff here didn't succeed." Guru assessed their situation.

"Right." Mohan agreed as he punched his flabby pillow in frustration.

"Then we need to get it ourselves." Guru stated.

"How?" Mohan asked sceptically.

"You studied in city, right? Come on, Bhayya, haven't you ever climbed up a Ladies Hostel?" Guru asked curiously.

"Hey!" Mohan smacked Guru with his pillow before Guru could get the time to duck.

"Not all city guys are characterless!" Mohan shouted indignantly.

Guru rubbed his head and glared at Mohan.

"And there was no one worth climbing for." He added as an after-thought.

It was not that there were no pretty girls in his class, but he had always noticed the prettiness in a rather detached manner: none of them had that unique edge in their personality that could stir his soul, unlike a particular one he had met just recently....

"We should ask your Miss Spitfire then." He heard Guru say and sat up, suddenly alert.

Gosh! Did I speak her name loud? What on earth was Guru saying?

"What do you mean?" Mohan asked, trying not to show his flustered condition.

"I said, we should ask her help. Haven't you noticed she's a lady?" Guru stated the obvious.

Mohan thought as he rolled his eyes at Guru's exaggerated simplification, but didn't interfere his rant.

"What we need to do is make a plan first. Then, we'll request her help in its execution. I'm sure she'll agree. She will not be stopped if she tries to enter the hostel and then, on our behalf, she can do whatever we have planned. How's my idea?" Guru asked, looking rather pleased with himself.

"No way I'm going to involve her in all this, Guru." Mohan stated instantly.

"But she's already involved Bhayya. She already knows more than what she should know, doesn't she? Then what difference will this make?" Guru asked.

What Guru was saying made sense, but Mohan felt guilty even at the thought of involving Megha into such serious business.

"But-But it's dangerous, Guru. What if they catch her?" Mohan defended.

"The three unknown girls are simply the customers, they won't be sharp and careful as the real ring leaders you encountered in Men's Hostel. There's no chance of them catching and harming her since she's really a teacher here, not in disguise like us. More importantly, she has studied here and knows this place much better than us, Bhayya. And not to mention, she's dreadfully smart and brave. Didn't she see through your disguise easily? And remember the way she climbed into this very room the other day? If you had not bent down and noticed her under your bed, I dare say she might have left only after knowing our whole bio-data from the documents inside our bags. Do you still think her unfit to help us?" Guru asked after his lengthy reasoning.