CHAPTER 18 - part 1 - IN GURU'S NAME

IN GURU’S NAME

It was only now that the real seriousness of the situation caught up with Megha. It was so unlike her goody-two-shoes image to sneak into someone else's room. Her adventurous part had led her through the hurdles and her operation identity has succeeded: she has realized that Mohan's intentions are not evil as she feared. But now that the adrenaline rush had subsided,  the real gravity of the situation began sinking in.

"What had I done? What if I get caught? No one will believe me if I try to explain the reason behind my decision to come here. My career will end prematurely."

Tears burned her throat and eyes, but she closed her eyes tightly and refused to let them fall. Mohan might already be considering her foolish and reckless; she need not add pathetic also to the list.

"I need to calm down. My intention had been good, wasn't it? As far as I can remember, I have never intentionally done anything evil. God will be with me as always and help me out of this."

Steeling her resolve, she took a few calming deep breaths and opened her eyes. The sight which greeted her alarmed her a little bit in spite of her trust in Mohan:

He was standing only a couple of feet away from her, with his right hand extended, as if to touch her shoulder. His face was laced with worry, sympathy and uncertainty. As he noticed her alarmed stare, he dropped his hands to his sides abruptly.

"I was just...don't worry, we'll figure something out." he stuttered out awkwardly.

Megha figured out that he was only going to place his hand on her shoulder in a comforting gesture. And now, thanks to her panicked reaction, the air around them became awkward.

"Yes, I'm sure we will." she replied in a calm tone, trying to ease the awkwardness.

Mohan looked up sharply. On seeing her calm face, he relaxed and let out a relieved sigh.

Megha walked past him, straightened the chair which he had knocked down earlier and sat down calmly.

"There is a chance that they may disperse soon for refreshments. We'll seize that opportunity." Mohan said, still looking out of the window.

"Okay." Megha replied in a tired tone. She relaxed into the chair, closed her eyes for a moment and took a deep breath, calming herself.

As she opened her eyes, Mohan was looking at her curiously.

"How long have you been in here?" he asked.

"Well, I reached here by one o' clock, I guess." She replied.

"How is it that no one saw you entering?" He wondered.

"I chose the lunch timing during an ODI telecast day. Do you honestly expect watchmen to be alert during that time, especially in a zero crime zone?" She countered with a question of her own.