CHAPTER 34 - part1 - INTROSPECTION

CHAPTER 61 INTROSPECTION 

After informing Mohan about his flight schedule and other particulars, Prateek kept the phone in a hurry. Reluctant to face his mother soon after that slip-of-the-tongue, Mohan mounted on his bike and went to the nearby park. On finding an unoccupied bench, he sat down and began contemplating the situation he has put himself in. 

How to escape Ma's questions? Hopefully, she'll forget about it all by dinner time as she'll be busy instructing Papa what to do and what not to do in the house in her absence. I just need to stay away till then. Mohan assured himself. 

How could you be so stupid and speak before thinking, Mohan? The sensible side of his mind began the analysis. 

Hmm.. I bet Ma can make me spit the truth often.  

And Megha too. How many times had she read your mind? It is understandable if your mother can catch your lies, but the way Megha does it is definitely something you need to think, Mohan. You can't compartmentalise it away any longer. Don't you see how each day something or the other happens, making her place in your life more prominent? 

Mohan looked around desperately as if seeking the solution from outside. There were many people in the park of varying age groups: small children playing around, shy teenagers out for their first dates, couples whose intimacy screams "keep off" at passers by, groups of grey haired, slow-moving people watching the world whiz past them at a much greater speed. 

Just then, a small girl of Nanhi's age ran past him waving a doll victoriously, giggling furiously. A smile found its way onto Mohan's face also as he thought about Nanhi. Suddenly, the girl fell down on the sand and pouted her lips about to cry. As Mohan started getting up to help her up, a small boy overtook him and reached her. He looked older than the girl by about five years and it was obvious from their similar facial structure that the both are siblings. The boy helped her up, dusted her skirt and picked up her doll which had fallen down. He scolded her for going too far away. The girl pouted first, but as her brother dropped his severe expression and gently slipped his hand into her tiny ones, helping her walk back, she obeyed with complete trust. 

It refreshed his memory of a couple of conversations with Megha: the one during that fateful night and another one when she said she would never stop him, but want him to be careful.  

Isn't this the quality you seek the most in your life parter? A sensible and compassionate woman, one who wouldn't become a hurdle in the path of the journalist in him, but one who would stand along with him and lend their support when he staggers. 

The sound of giggles from somewhere behind made Mohan turn around. A group of girls were sitting on the lawn just behind him. From the snippets of conversation which floated to his ears, he deciphered that they were gushing about the handsomeness of a newly arrived movie star in the film industry, how they would do anything to get a glimpse of him for real. 

Mohan smiled at himself as he evaluated his decision to fly across the country just to see her and Nanhi.  

You may not giggle or gush about her, but your thoughts about Megha had never been entirely platonic, especially that night when she took care of you. And don't forget your recent admission to your Ma that you find her pretty. You are definitely attracted to her.  

Yes, on looking back, I can see that. But frankly, I don't know whether she has taken an irreplaceable place yet. What if this is just a passing fancy, one that would just dissolve like the mist in sunlight?  

But to find an answer to that, you need to talk to her, Mohan. Confess to her. 

A woman dressed in a simple saree walked past his bench hurriedly. She was soon followed by a young, well dressed man who kept shouting vows of love desperately, but the woman kept walking as if she had not heard him at all.  

See, this is what I fear. Had I met her in my college days, I would have definitely done so myself instantly without fearing anything in the world. But unfortunately, I am more mature, responsible and patient now, not an impulsive teenager (even though my parents still think the opposite). And I fear not just her rejection, but also getting her tangled up in all this drugs mess. Remember the dream?  

But she's already involved somewhat in your mission and know almost everything. And keep in mind she's not a damsel in distress who needs rescuing; in fact, it was she who rescued you, remember? If anyone has a good chance of surviving a life with you, it would be her. Don't lose her, Mohan. 

Just then, his phone rang: It was just the person he was thinking about: Megha. 

"Are you busy?" She asked. 

"No, I'm not." He said instantly. "Listen Megha, earlier, it was my Ma..." He stated awkwardly. 

"She told me." Megha continued in a hushed tone. "I just called to say thank you." 

"Are you all right? You sound weak." Mohan observed worriedly. 

"I'm okay, Mohan. Talking softly since Nanhi is sleeping." Megha replied. 

"Oh, right. So, did you two have a safe journey and reach home fine? How are your parents? I'm sorry I left without telling you, Megha. It just slipped my mind. And Mahi and I have done your job. You can now call your friend and tell her. And how is Nanhi?" Mohan couldn't hold back his relief on hearing her voice after what felt like ages and put forth a volley of queries.  

So I missed her this much. I never realised... 

Megha chuckled softly in response. 

"Hold on a minute, Mohan. Let me process all your questions and answer them one by one." 

"Okay." He replied sheepishly.  

"The journey was a bit tiring since we travelled by bus, but we reached home fine and are feeling much better now." 

"You should have gone by train." Mohan suggested. 

"Papa and Ma are fine here." Megha said brightly, not answering his suggestion. "And while I'm mad at you for leaving without a word, I'm thankful also for solving my problem." 

"You are not angry that we played the prank on Prerna's sister-in-law?" Mohan asked, seeking reassurance. 

"Of course, not." Megha insisted, giggling a bit. "On the contrary, I was finding it difficult to control my laughter as Mahi narrated the incident. How on earth do you get such outrageous ideas, Mohan?" 

"You are not any less, Ma'am." Mohan didn't want to loose the chance to pull her leg a bit. "Remember the day you climbed my window? Don't you think that fits the word outrageous much better than this?" 

"You!" Megha's voice rose a bit in rebuke. Then it lowered back to the initial timbre. "I'm not taking that bait right now since Nanhi is sleeping. And don't you dare to contact my friend or tell her about the gift. I didn't do all this for glory. I want her to believe it is a sign of blessing from her deceased parents, not her friend's plot." 

"Then what will you give her? I thought this was your gift to her." Mohan asked confusedly. 

"Who am I to give her what is already hers? No, I just wanted her to have that gift, just not necessarily from me. I would just go for shopping today or tomorrow and get something for her." Megha assured. 

Mohan was awestruck by her reply. 

When will you stop amazing me, Megha?  

"And I guess you should know that Mahi kept your word and didn't tell me about your real identity." Megha continued. "And I didn't pester him also. Why should I loose my cool trying to find it out? I know I'll get to know when it is time." She added.  

Recognising a hint of impatience, Mohan chuckled softly. 

"What are you laughing at?" Megha questioned immediately. 

"Nothing!" Mohan swallowed his laughter and replied evenly. "You are right. Everything will be known when the right time comes." 

And I think it will be soon.... 

                                                         **************************