I Who am I? Chapter 1

Who am I?

That is a question I had been asking myself every day since the first day of hospital admission. It is apparently my last day here in the hospital. In all honesty, I wasn't aiming high, I wasn't thinking too much of the future right now cause it wasn't up to the nurses to release me, it was up to my specialist doctor. A doctor who had to fly in to see me. A doctor who always looked at me with dreaded, pitiful eyes.

Even the other kids in my ward looked at me with pity in their eyes. They looked at me like I was a lost cause, someone who couldn't be saved. It's not like it was my fault anyway. I didn't ask for this. I was the longest, youngest patient they have had in here.

I didn't ask to be kept locked up in a room where I can be 'safe', attached to drips and other beeping machines that I hated. Their sounds have become a slight buzz in my ear. I was no longer hearing properly because I had become so used to them. I studied to keep my mind busy and to occupy my free time.

I was top of my class, high marks with extracurricular subjects added. I may have been in a hospital but I still had to complete my OP. I was homeschooled... in the hospital. Pretty stupid right if you asked me. Homeschooled... in a hospital. More like hospitalized to be taught. I should have been let out. I should have been sent to a real school where I could learn in a classroom, make friends, get in trouble, you know, all the things normal kids take for granted.

But my parents saw it as a wise move to keep me here and be homeschooled in case of another relapse. You see I'm not from this state. At the current moment, I am in Sydney at one of the most highly regarded hospitals in Australia. My hometown is a one and a half hour flight and then a five-hour drive from Brisbane. This hospital is the only hospital trained with the right equipment and staff to deal with my treatment. Pretty stupid considering the doctor that treats me is practically at one of my stop in towns on my way home.

So what's wrong with me?

Lymphoma Cancer. Hodgkin Lymphoma Cancer was what was wrong with me. While in most cases its treated with chemotherapy or radiotherapy and gone within 5 years (in most cases) I, unfortunately, drew the short end of the straw. I was discovered with this cancer when I was six years old. It's very uncommon for a six-year-old to get this, but due to family history on my mums' side, it was inevitable that someone within my generation was going to get it. At first, I responded to treatments, I sailed through as smoothly as I could until I was 9 years old. The specialist was getting ready to send me home as he couldn't find any cells left when 3 days before release I relapsed. Things got harder, my body refused to take treatment, months later on my 10th birthday, my parents were planning my palliative care with my specialists because they didn't believe I would win. It wasn't until they sent me home to be with family did my health start to increase, my body started fighting back. On my 11th birthday, I was sent back to the hospital to retry chemo and see if I can beat it.

So here I was sitting on my bed with only one tube in my arm and my port-a-cath still in my chest, which was a good sign on my behalf cause that meant that I was almost ready to be out of this room. Of course, I can walk around but I am still restricted.

I looked up to see my parents walk into my room, hand in hand, smiling as if they just won the lottery.

"Today is the day" My mother Kathy said showing off her beautiful smile. I just looked at her with a bored expression.

"What is the matter, sweetie? You need to be positive about this," She said coming over to me pushing some hair out of my face.

"Mum why do I need to be positive about this? Every single time I hear the news of the possibility of going home, it's shut down" I said, grumpily pushing her hand away from my face.

"Well, why not be positive this time?" My father joined in while packing some of my stuff into my suitcase.

"In the past 2 years, they have said that there was a chance of going home the next week, which might I add has been 10 times dad and every single time I've been kept in because they had missed a bit of cancer or the treatment was wrong. What's the point in getting your hopes up when you know its no point" I concluded lying back in my bed.

My parents gave me the sad look they always give me when I lectured them about the facts and I gave them the eye roll back to show them I didn't care. Like I said I had given up hope.

I closed my eyes for literally 5 seconds when my door opened for the second time today.

My Doctor.

"Good Morning Miss Evans, how are you feeling?" He asked me looking me over in a quick glance.

"Yeah all right, can we get this over with please?" I asked sitting up waiting to hear the bad news of me staying in again for another few months.

"Ok then well, the blood test the nurses took yesterday showed a huge improvement in your blood levels. Your red cells are higher than ever and your white cells are stronger than ever. I look at you now and your not the pale little Raychel anymore. You look healthy, your eating healthy and guess what, your weight is healthy." Is all he said.

"Well, Doc what is it?" I asked irritably.

"I'm afraid.. we are going to have to ask for this room back and kick you out," he said with a bit of a chuckle.

My heart plummeted. I knew I should not have gotten my hopes up. He said he was afraid so why was he chuckling? Wait. Why are mum and dad cheering jumping up and down? What did he say after I was afraid?

"Can you repeat that please?" I asked confused as to what was going on.

"You are in great condition to leave Raychel, go home and enjoy your life," He said again, this time moving forward to take the drip out of my arm. "From what I've been told, you have your graduation from your homeschooling in three day's time, I suggest you take it easy rest up and find the perfect dress for your first evening out."

I stood up and hugged him without even thinking. After being in a hospital for a majority of 13 years I didn't care whom I hugged, I was just glad that I was leaving.

"We are so proud of your fighting spirit baby." My mother said hugging me with tears streaming down her eyes.

I hugged my mum back and then my dad. Just as I finished my hugging my dad, the Doctor spoke again.

"However, you do need to take it easy for the first two months. I am putting you on immune boosters and your normal daily medications to keep your body at how it is now if not better. You need to stick by these medicines as if it was your bible." My dad gave a low cough next to me.

Que my dad, a hard-working, bible law-abiding decent man. So to say that we had to live by something like a bible was like blasphemy to him.

I understood what the Doc was meaning but still just a little embarrassing.

The doctor gave my father an apologetic look and continued.

"You need to follow the instructions carefully and do not overdose or underdose. But that's all for now so get out of here." He said patting my back, handing me a script and with a final smile and with a nod he walked out of the room.

I walked out of my room shortly after with my parents behind me and was confronted by the staff and other patients of the ward clapping and cheering me as I walked down the Isle. Tears started to form as I was still trying to bring my head around it all!

I was finally free!

                                                          ~****~                                   ~****~              

A/N

Hi All,

So what do you think? I would love to hear what you think. Please leave a comment?

Vote??

Of course it's only the first chapter but still, stories gotta start somewhere right? lol

I want to do a shout out to a lovely lady who has supported me through my first two books- ~ The secret Truth~  and A Second Beginning. She has been amazing so I want to dedicate this chapter to her xx Thanks Winree xx

PEACE!!!!