44.

"One? Okay. I'll meet you there. How about a late lunch after? You pick. Later."

Chantal knew who was on the other line without asking. The way a light smile played on his lips and how relaxed he was while on the phone and working on the computer, she knew it was her. Nervously, she waited to hear him say something about last night but as he ended the call, it seems Arianna didn't mention anything about their little spat. Michael was at the gentleman's club when she returned home earlier than usual. Her mother though was up watching a movie. Eve Gordon didn't question her daughter, she simply gave her a sad smile and focused on her movie. 
Michael arrived at their place an hour ago to have breakfast with the family before he headed to his office. It became a routine for them, one her son liked very much.

"Don't forget school lets out early today, dad," Chase reminded him before taking a huge bite of his pancake.

"I won't. Miss Eve are you sure you don't want me to pick you up?" Michael asked. The look of worry on his face made Chantal's heart melt. He took the role of caring for them all seriously. It was a bit of a struggle to give up that role but he showed her that two persons can do that also, compromise and communication were key. Her stomach rolled upon remembering how he stressed on the communication part. When he arrived at the house and asked how her night at the bachelorette party was, she lied to him boldly in his face. She didn't know if he believed her or not because her son came running out, distracting them both.

"The driver you assigned me is enough, Michael dear. I'm simply going grocery shopping and to the salon. Before you offer, I have enough cash for both errands," her mother replied. Looking put out, Michael reluctantly gave in and turned to Chantal. "I'll have Chase home by dinner time," he said taking a sip of his coffee. Chantal simply nodded and tucked into her breakfast. In two days he will be flying out to France for his best friends wedding with Arianna. She decided to fly out with her son and mother, courtesy of Michael for the second wedding. Everything was on schedule, he planned everything around the purpose of her being in the bridal party. She was going to be the last bridesmaid to arrive, now she will simply be a guest. She had to tell Michael she was no longer a bridesmaid before Arianna did. He has been so happy when she accepted the invites. Constantly he thanked her for accepting his friendship with a woman, not just any woman, his ex. Chantal knew most women may have demanded he end his friendship with Arianna in which the woman herself offered but she couldn't. The two had a connection that no one can break. She didn't have to see them together, just listening to them talk about each other and support each other, she knew nothing can break them apart. Heaving a heavy sigh, she gathered their dirty dishes and began a cycle on the dishwasher. 

"Babe? You alright?"

Chantal started with the unexpected presence of Michael and his touch on her shoulder. His brows furrowed with worry as he gazed intently into her eyes. "Yes. I'm fine. Why won't I be?" she asked nervously.

"Chase, go get ready for school. Miss Eden can I have a few moments alone with your daughter?" Michael said not taking his eyes off her. The other two occupants in the room left quickly. sensing his need to talk to Chantal. After a few moments of uncomfortable silence, he stepped away from her, running his hand through his wavy brown hair. Dressed in an immaculate suit, Chantal couldn't help but look on in amazement that this rich handsome CEO loved her. 

"Something is wrong. I'm going to ask you again. Are you alright? Please don't lie to me, babe."

She stayed quiet, busying herself with cleaning an already clean counter. "Is this about Ari? My friendship with her? Are you going back on your word?"

Chantal froze, her shoulders stiff at his partially right deduction. "I rejected her request to be in her bridal party," she said firmly before turning to meet his eyes. Disbelief and confusion clouded his features, he glanced at his phone behind him on the table then at her, trying to put the pieces together.