19.

Kenny

"Oh shit. Ari!"

I caught her just in time before her head met the marble floor. My heart was thundering in my chest, just as the boots that came thundering into the room. At the forefront was Raizon Delacourde himself, with five guards behind him aiming their guns at me.

I was harshly pushed away from her and was only to be replaced by the Mafia King.

"What the fuck have you done?" He yelled.  I couldn't formulate any words as I watched on as he checked her pulse and called for his medic. The barrel of each guns from his men came closer to my head. Were they on orders by Delacourde? Then seeing how their eyes quickly went between her and me, I knew it was mostly about her. Delacourde was trying to wake her but was failing. Back and forth he rocked her and begged her to wake up but Ari wasn't doing as he asked.

A Japanese man came running in with a headset around his neck and a black medic bag, going straight to Ari. He whispered harshly in Delacourde's ear who reluctantly released his hold on her after placing her on the sectional.
Everyone was silent as he checked her heart rate, her pulse then hooked her up to a portable oxygen tank. He hastily rifled through his bag and produced a vial of blue fluid, injecting it into her arm. That's when I noticed how labored her breathing was, after a few moments her body relaxed, immensely. The two spoke to each other in Japanese before Delacourde motioned one of his men to take her.

In large steps he closed the space between us and aimed his gun right at my head. Raising my hands in surrender and staying on my knees, I lowered my head in respect. Though I'm a cop I know when my badge is useless and all my training wasn't worth shit. If you have the head of the Mafia and his trained killers aiming guns at your head, you keep your mouth shut and speak when spoken to.

"Talk." That was his only command as he took the safety off his gun.

"I told her the truth. It was killing me. I had to tell her that she's my sister," I said, wanting him to desperately believe me.

"You came at her with bullshit like that," he shouted about to pull the trigger.

"I HAVE PROOF!"

"Show me."

"I-it's in my jacket pocket. A brown envelope with two letters," I rushed out. With the motion of his head, one guard moved to my jacket out in the foyer while he practically scrutinized my features. I can tell you what he saw and everybody else.

Identical coloring of our skins, different noses, shapely eyes - difference is in the color. While she had dark exotic eyes, mines were hazel with thick lashes like hers. Same dark curly hair and naturally plump lips. There isn't any major similarities which I thought at first but digging into the family history, I found where I belonged. I was the spitting image of our grandfather who sadly died before either of us was born.

"Got it boss," the guard said handling Delacourde the envelope.

"Take him to the library and stay with him."

I was roughly handled and practically dragged to the room. I didn't fight them, it was just hard to keep up with their hurried steps. Three hallways later I was shoved into the library and quickly accompanied by two of the guards.
Rising from the floor, I took a seat in an armchair and held my head in my hands. There was so much to process. Delacourde's attachment to Ari, her unexpected passing out and how badly this all went. Through out the whole ordeal it was her last words to me. Those three words were on replay in my head over and over.

I knew why she said that and not even taken aback that she said it. I deserved it. For years, I've stayed by her side as she mourned the loss of our parents on the anniversary of their deaths. I've listened to her wanting a real family beside the guys. Her longing to find that perfect guy so she can recreate the family that she lost. I've cruelly stayed silent by her side as she cried in my arms. Since we were seventeen I've known, my cowardice held my tongue.