Chapter Sixteen~Smaug

(Recap)

The door opens into a tunnel going into the mountain. The dwarves look on it awe as Thorin stands on the threshold. "Erebor." says Thorin Bilbo and Isley 

"Thorin..." starts Balin he chokes up, and Thorin puts a hand on his shoulder. Thorin then steps into the mountain. "I know these walls...these walls, this stone. You remember it, Balin. Chambers filled with golden light." says Thorin. 

As he says this, Thorin runs his hands over the walls, lost in memory. Balin steps into the tunnel. "I remember." he says The rest of the Company slowly and reverently enters the mountain. Inside, Nori points at a carving in the wall above the door; it is of the throne of Erebor, with the Arkenstone above it, sending out rays of light in all directions. 

Gloin reads aloud the inscription on the carving. "Herein lies the seventh kingdom of Durin's Folk. May the heart of the mountain unite all dwarves in defense of this home." he says Isley and Bilbo look at the carving in interest and curiosity. Balin explains it to them. "The throne of the king." he says "Oh. And what's that above it?" ask Ash pointing "The Arkenstone." says Balin "Arkenstone....And what's that?" ask Bilbo "That, Master Burglars, are why your here." says Thorin. 

All the dwarves look at Bilbo and Ash, and they look bewildered, but resolute. Balin takes Ash and Bilbo to walk into a tunnel leading to the interior of the mountain. "You want us to find a jewel?" ask Bilbo "A large white jewel, yes." says Balin "That's it? Only, I imagine there's quite a few down there." says Ash "There is only one Arkenstone. You'll know it when you see it." says Balin "Alright." the siblings say. 

Balin begins to walk back down the tunnel, but then pauses. "In truth, I do not know what you will find down there. You needn't go if you don't want to, there's no dishonor in turning back." says Balin "No, Balin, we promised we would do this, and I think we must try." says Bilbo Ash nods Balin looks at Bilbo and Ash, then begins to chuckle appreciatively. "It never ceases to amaze me." he says "What's that?" ask Ash "The courage of Hobbits. Go now with as much luck as you can muster." says Balin, Ash smiles remembering that throughout all of this what has lead her here was because she was a hobbit maybe not in appearance but at heart. 

"You known I just remembered Smaug is my uncle." Ash says the three chuckle. 

They nod at each other, and Bilbo and Ash proceed down the tunnel while Balin turns back. "Oh, and Bilbo Ash...if there is, in fact, a live dragon down there, don't waken it." says Balin. Bilbo looks worried, but nods. He walks a few more steps, then turns as if to ask a question, but Balin is already disappearing around a corner. they tiptoe toward Smaug's lair. they quietly walk through a large doorway and find themself in a massive hall. 

Bilbo whispers out loud. "Hello?" he ask Ash knocks quietly on the wall beside her, but the sound is intensified loudly as it echoes, and Bilbo jumps and presses himself against the wall in shock. Seeing no reaction to the noise, he walks out into the hall on an elevated walkway. "You're not at home. Not at home. Good. Good, good, good." says Bilbo "Shut up." says Ash quietly Ash and Bilbo, at the top of a staircase, suddenly stops walking and there mouths hang open in shock. 

They see mountains of gold, jewels, weapons, cups, and all sorts of treasure piled dozens of feet high all throughout the immensely massive hall. Bilbo climbs down the stairs and carefully begins to walk atop the treasure. Ash follows down behind him. they try to be quiet, but the coins and jewels beneath there feet make a lot of noise. they poke around, looking for the Arkenstone. 

Bilbo finds a large white jewel and examines it. "This that it?" whispers Ash. He shakes the jewel and continues examining it; deciding that it's not the Arkenstone, he carelessly throws it aside, they jump when it clatters and makes a lot of noise. they continue to look around. "Arkenstone, Arkenstone.." gose Bilbo "A large, white jewel. Very helpful." says Ash the two are surrounded by so much treasure that it would be impossible for them to find one particular jewel out of all of it. Bilbo climbs up a mountain of gold.