Chapter Fourteen~Laketown

The man paddles the dwarves, Ash, and Bilbo across the lake in his barge. "I'm sorry about how my friends came about." says Ash holding her head, she stumbles and sits at the front of the boat "I'm sorry I should get up." she says "No please you looked tired for the mean time rest." says the man "I'm Ash." she says holding out a hand, he shakes it. 

"Bard."

The two sit in silence "So you betray your own kind and help dwarves?" ask Bard, Ash smiles "No no I'm not an elf." she says pulling back her hood. "So a human then." says Bard "No actually I'm a Dragon Born." says Ash Bard chuckles "There are no dragons expect Smaug." says Bard........"Yes he's my uncle." says Ash. Bard looks to her eyes wide "Family gets a bad wrap." she says "No it's not that it's just if he's your uncle that would make you the lost princess of Dragon Heart." says Bard, Ash nods "So it seems I am." she says the two smile.

It is very foggy, and the barge pushes aside ice floes. Suddenly, large stone formations appear out of the fog. "Watch out!" says Ash, Bard expertly poles the barge between the rock formations, which turn out to be ancient ruins. 

"What are you trying to do, drown us?" ask Thorin "I was born and bred on these waters, Master Dwarf. If I wanted to drown you, I would not do it here." says Bard "Oh I have enough of this lippy lakeman. I say we throw him over the side and be done with him." says Dwalin, Bilbo answer him slightly angrily. "Ohh, Bard, his name's Bard." says Bilbo "How do you know?" ask Bofur "Uh, Ash asked him." says Bilbo "We do not have to like him, we simply have to pay him. Come on now, lads, turn out your pockets." says Balin. 

The dwarves begin pulling out their money and valuables. Dwalin whispers to Thorin. "How do we know he won't betray us?" "We don't." says Thorin Balin counts the money. "There's, um, just a problem: we're ten coins short." says Balin "Gloin. Come on. Give us what you have." says Thorin "Don't look to me. I have been bled dry by this venture! And what have I seen for my investment? Naught but misery and grief and-" says Gloin he stops talking when he realizes that all the others have slowly stood up and are looking at something in the distance. 

As the fog thins, we see the Lonely Mountain. "Bless my beard. Take it. Take all of it." says Gloin he hands Balin a sack of coins he had secretly withheld before. Bilbo coughs and gestures his head toward Bard, who is approaching the dwarves on their end of the barge. Ash was up front with him "The money, quick, give it to me." says Bard "We'll pay you when we get our provisions, but not before." says Thorin "If you value your freedom, you'll do as I say. There are guards ahead." says Bard. 

The dwarves turn and see the rooftops of Laketown in the distance. Bard ushers the Dwarves and Bilbo into a barles he takes Ash's hand "If anyone ask you are my soon to be wife." he says.

"Isn't that a little problematic?" she ask.

"There are very strict rules here if it doesn't provide it's not allowed you essencial would be providing for my family." he says.

She nods Bard's barge is stopped at a dock just outside the city; Bard hops off and speaks to a man. Meanwhile, the dwarves and Bilbo are hidden in the barrels on the barge. "Shh, what's he doing?" ask Dwalin. 

"Shut up." says Ash.

Bilbo peers through a hole in his barrel. "He's talking to someone." says Bilbo. 

"Shut uuuuup." says Ash. 

Bilbo sees Bard point back at his barrels while talking to the man. "And he's...pointing right at us!" says Bilbo Ash rolls her eyes Thorin looks anxious. Bard shakes the man's hands. "Now they're shaking hands." says Bilbo "What?" ask Thorin "That villain! He's selling us out." says Dwalin. 

Ash kicks the barles "Shut up." she says. 

All the dwarves in their individual barrels listen anxiously; suddenly, dead fish are poured into the barrels. The dwarves splutter in surprise. Bard poles his barge toward the gate of the city; on deck are the 14 barrels all full of fish, with a dwarf or hobbit inside as well. Bard kicks the barrel closest to him. "Quiet! We're approaching the toll gate." he says Ash takes his place.