Chapter Six~The Dragon Tamer

"The Valley of Imraldis. In the Common Tongue, it's known by a another name." Says Gandalf "Rivendell." Says Ash and Bilbo in wonder "Here lies the last Homely House east of the sea." Says Gandalf. 

"This was your plan all along, to seek refuge with our enemy." Says Thorin "You have no enemies here, Thorin Oakenshield. The only ill-will to be found in this valley is that which you bring yourself." Says Gandalf "You think the Elves will give our quest their blessing? They will try to stop us." Says Thorin "Of course they will. But we have questions that need to be answered. If we are to be successful, this will need to be handled with tact and respect and no small degree of charm. Which is why you will leave the talking to me." Says Gandalf. 

The Company walks across a bridge and enters Rivendell. A few elves are seen strolling about. Bilbo and Ash gaze in awe at the beauty of the place. The dwarves look uneasy. A darkhaired elf walks down a flight of stairs and greets them. 

"Mithrandir." He says "Ah, Lindir!" Shouts Gandalf. 

As Lindir and Gandalf greet each other, the dwarves murmur amongst themselves in distrust. "We heard you had crossed into the Valley." Says Lindir "I must speak with Lord Elrond." Says Gandalf "My lord Elrond is not here." Says Lindir "Not here? Where is he?" Ask Gandalf.

Suddenly, the Elvish horns from earlier are heard again. 

The Company turns around and they see a group of armed horsemen approaching along the bridge at a rapid rate. "Ready weapons! "Hold ranks!" Shouts Thorin. 

The dwarves bunch up together into a tight circle with their weapons pointed outward; the mounted Elves arrive and ride in circles around the dwarves. Eventually, they stop, and one elf, Elrond, separates himself from the others. "Gandalf." He says. Gandalf bows gracefully. "Lord Elrond. Mellonnen! My friend! Where have you been?" Ask Gandalf "We've been hunting a pack of Orcs that came up from the South. We slew a number near the Hidden Pass." Says Elrond he dismounts from his horse, then he and Gandalf hug. 

"Strange for Orcs to come so close to our borders. Something, or someone, has drawn them near." He says. He holds up an Orc sword and shows it to everyone, then hands it to Lindir. "Ah, that may have been us." Says Gandalf. 

Thorin steps forward, and Elrond looks upon him with recognition "Welcome Thorin, son of Thrain." He says "I do not believe we have met." Thorin says "You have your grandfather's bearing. I knew Thror when he ruled under the Mountain." Says Elrond "Indeed; he made no mention of you." Says Thorin Ignoring this insult, Elrond turns to the dwarves and speaks in Elvish. 

The dwarves don't understand what he is saying. "Light the fires, bring forth the wine. We must feed our guests." Says Elrond "What is he saying? Does he offer us insult?" Ask Gloin The dwarves grow bellicose and grip their weapons uneasily. 

Gandalf speaks exasperatedly. "No, master Gloin, he's offering you food." 

The dwarves quickly discuss this amongst themselves. "Ah well, in that case, lead on." Says Gloin.

Ash his broken away from her thoughts as the party moves on she goes up beside Gandalf and gets a good first look at Lord Elrond "It's you!" She Says, Elrond looks at her "Your the girl I spotted during the battle in the crack behind the bolder." Says Elrond, she nods "I'm Ash my lord." she says with a curtsy he smiles and bows "Lord Elrond." he says as the continue along.

***************************************

The dwarves are sitting around tables in the Elven court, eating. However, they are not very appreciative of the Elves' vegetables. An Elf maiden plays a harp in the background. Elrond and Gandalf walk through the halls of Rivendell.