0.7 - truth

I thought about this for a second, then clicked the reply button and quickly typed in a short “okay, talk” and hit send. After thinking a little bit I signed into the multiplayer of our game, just in case he appeared there, and grabbed my earphones pulling them over my hoodie. A minute hadn’t passed when I heard a chirp from the messages tab. As I clicked there, I saw a message from him saying “I’ll be in the game”, so I chuckled at myself for my foresight and pressed play.

As the familiar loading screen appeared, I heard muffling in the earphones and then…

“Hello,” he said, and I felt something clenching my insides at the sound of his voice. I felt so many things at the same time, I couldn’t even name all of them.

“Hi,” I mumbled, a bit confused by all the emotions that were fighting inside of me. A part of me wanted to yell at him for causing this entire scene, another part wanted to know desperately what he had wanted to talk to me about, another part wanted to run and hide, and the last one just wanted to forget these days and get everything to the way it was before. It was indeed very distracting.

He didn’t pause the game, though. His character, a tall creature with white skin, ran around the place, checking for hidden things as usual, and I made my green-winged character turn around to keep ground.

“I’m sorry, you know,” he said, sounding tired and sad. All I knew was that I didn’t want him to feel like that, and that I was never in fact mad at him. Only at myself.

“Shut up,” I muttered, “Stop saying sorry when you’ve got nothing to apologize for.”

“I mean, I was just- good lord where do they always come from?” he yelled, interrupring himself as the enemies filled the screen and his character fell on the ground from the force of the hit he got. I quickly pulled out a long sword, my favorite weapon, and rushed forward, trying to give him time to get up and collect himself.

“You don’t have to fucking apologize, okay?”

“I already apologized, I’m trying to explain,” he said through gritted teeth, probably because he had three giants to fight off.

“Fuckin ballsacks, that’s just- I mean, c’mon,” I swore as I waited ten seconds for my character to revive itself because someone shot me from the back. Then I remembered what sort of conversation I was having.

“Dude, get behind me,” I heard the voice say as his character got closer to me. It made sense, because he could actually cover my back while fighting his battle, so I followed his advice.

“Anyway,” he said, the tone of his voice changing to a more serious one. “I’ve been a moody bastard when I shouldn’t have, and I thought you thought I was lame because of what I said, and-”

“Whoa, slow down,” I chuckled, maniacally waving my sword back and forth. “First of all, tell me your goddamn name because I sound like an idiot when I refer to you as ‘the voice’,” I said sarcastically hoping he wouldn’t hear how desperate I really was.

“Refer? Did you, um, tell someone about me?” he laughed, the familiar nervousness obvious in his voice. And, not waiting for my answer, he finished: “Luke. My name is Luke.”

----

okay so we finally know luke is luke

i promise there'll be more action soon but i need some action in the votes and comments sections too okay because i feel like all my effort in this fanfic is going down the drain