2.1 - the new guy

The next day I marched to school, the controller safely put in my bag, and I couldn’t wait to give it to Luke. I completely forgot about Calum who would be standing there as well, but I always could ask him to give us a minute since he knew everything anyway.

I felt like I wasn’t appreciating Calum enough. He was being such a great friend about this when he must have been feeling like a third wheel. I knew that I would 100% feel like it if it was Calum who found somebody. But he wasn’t showing it, he joked around and tried to help us get together and I didn’t know how to thank him.

But when I made it to the school gate I didn’t get to do what I wanted because Calum was buzzing with news.

“Oh my God, did you see the new guy? There’s a guy who transferred from some other town and he’s so hot, oh my God.” Calum rambled just as Luke let me out of his greeting embrace, and I laughed.

“Dude, you just said oh my god twice, how hot is this guy?” I decided not to mention the fact that Calum was acting not so straight right now, because it was his personal business, and I knew from experience that sexuality could be scary and confusing and I needed to let him figure it out on his own.

“REALLY hot,” Calum said, and to my displeasure, Luke nodded.

“What, you’ve seen him?” I asked, and Calum, who obviously couldn’t shut up about the guy, spoke again.

“Yeah, Luke bumped into him and he just kind of said hey and walked away. He has such a strong accent, it’s like mine multiplied by sixty.”

I watched Luke the entire time but he just looked down when Calum said how he bumped into the guy. There was probably nothing to worry about.

I didn’t get my moment with Luke, so I was now waiting for lunch to do it. At this point I didn’t even care if Calum was there, I just wanted to get this over with. But that day I just couldn’t get a break – right after me and Calum prepared for double History, he jumped in his seat and elbowed me so hard I hissed.

“There he is, the new guy!” he whispered pointing at the boy who had just entered the classroom. He was tall, but not taller than Luke, and also had blonde hair styled to the side, but it was curly, not straight, and it was a dirty shade, not platinum gold like Luke’s hair. He had a square jaw and green eyes, and he was quite good looking. I kind of understood Calum now, actually.

The entire lesson and the next one Calum was shamelessly staring at the poor new guy who sat across from us, and I had to bear with his ocassional whisper about how cool this guy was because of his blink shirt and how Calum wanted to be friends with him.

Finally, it was time for lunch, but not even this went as planned. Just as we sat down, I saw the mop of blonde hair and the charming smile of the new boy behind Luke’s chair, and we all looked at him.

“Hi,’ he said, obviously addressing Luke which immediately pissed me off. “I’m, erm… I’m Ashton Irwin, the new guy… You’re the dude I bumped into this morning, right?”

Luke nodded, starting to blush, and I thought it wasn’t very cool of this Ashton guy to remind people of their awkward moments.

“I was just wondering if I could crash at your table?” the green eyes stopped on me and Calum for a moment before flicking back to Luke. “Everyone seems kind of distant and you look like a nice guy.”

I almost growled at the request of this newbie, and then I saw Calum and Luke both looking at me: one with a question and the other one with pleading eyes. Fuck my life.

“Sure,” I mumbled, and Luke moved his chair so the new guy could sit down as well. This was going not as planned at all.

--

THIS JUST HIT A THOUSAND READS WHAT

thank you guys here have a chapter where ashton finally appears woo