1.4 - hanging out

I counted every damn minute before I heard the ring of the doorbell. I heard voices from downstairs, and then the door opened. I prayed that either of my parents who opened the door to Luke wouldn’t go up here because they’d yell at me for still being in bed, and even if I told them I was sick they probably wouldn’t believe me.

Happily, it was just Luke. He entered the room without knocking and closed the door after himself before turning around and looking back at me.

Remember I said he was perfect? He fucking was.

He was smiling awkwardly, as usual, and his piercing blue eyes stayed fixed on mine. His plaid blue shirt was draped over his broad shoulders, matching his eyes. His long, bony legs were wrapped in black skinny jeans and he stood frozen in a weird position when his one foot stepped lightly on another. He looked like a middle schooler on his first day of a freshman year, and I felt like one inside. God, what a way to hang out with an awesome person when you’re in your messy room with undone hair and unshaven stubble, in your freaking sleeping clothes curled up in a ball in your bed. Dreamy.

“Hey,” I said, and to my surprise he didn’t answer with his typical “hello.”

“How are you feeling?” he asked, tilting his head to the side.

“Like shit,” I said, trying to blink away the blur that was covering my eyes.

“I should have probably gotten you something,” Luke said suddenly and moved closer, sitting down on a chair. “I mean, a medicine or some pills…”

“No, I got it,” I said. I didn’t want him to be the nurse.

We sat in silence, then I looked at him again:

“I thought you had a guitar with you.”

“I uh, dropped it back at home on the way here,” he answered nonchalantly, and I felt bad because he’d been running around the town all day because of me. Great, Michael, well done.

Luke, meanwhile, was slightly spinning himself in the chair and staring at my walls covered with posters.

“This is cool. My mum won’t let me hang posters,” he said, and I chuckled.

“Don’t tell me you’re not just a sappy baby but also a mama’s boy?”

“Fuck off,” he mumbled, his cheeks turning bright red again. I laughed. This was fun.

Luke then asked me about some band from one of the posters that he didn’t know, and we ended up talking about music for good hour or two, because we just couldn’t get enough of it. We clicked. I fnished his sentences, because I felt the same and I knew what he was talking about, and Luke smiled at me happily because he understood. I lost the track of time because of his presence, and I wouldn’t mind if this day never ended.

Finally when there was a pause in the conversation, I heard Luke’s stomach growl, and he turned red yet again. God, he was cute when he blushed.

Cute. Fuck my life.

“I’ll go get something to eat,” I said, getting myself out of the blanket.

“Oh no, don’t get up. You’re sick!” Luke protested, his face changing into a pleading grimace.

“No, I’m actually feeling better now. It’s fine, Luke, really.”

So I left him and went down into the kitchen, where, of course, my mum was.

“Who’s this boy who came to visit you?” she asked immediately, and I regretted ever coming here. Of course she would start a damn investigation when Luke was waiting upstairs.

“None of your business,” I wanted to answer while I was putting lasagna into the microwave, but spending the day with Luke made me change my mind.

“A friend,” I said, and she looked at me attentively. Apparently, being friends with Luke included his sappy princess personality rubbing off on me.

“Oh, okay,” was all that she said and then left the room.

I took the lasagna out of the microwave and went back upstairs, balancing the two plates in my hands. I kicked the door open, switched the lights on with my elbow and entered the room, Luke turning to me with an excited smile across his face.

He had that kind of smile that made him look even younger than he was, the kind that might have looked a bit stupid but to me it was the most beautiful thing in the world. He had the smile that made me want to smile back, and there weren't many people in the world who could do that. All I wanted is to be the reason behind that smile, to give back at least something because it seemed like he was giving me so much, without even realizing it...

He was giving me his time, his attention, and, more importantly, his friendship. And even though I kind of wanted more, it was still the best thing. He was, wihtout a doubt, the best thing that ever happened to me.

--

i don't even know tbh