Chapter 30

Annabeth's POV

It's been three days since the car crash. Percy still isn't awake.

I wasn't injured very badly, just some scrapes and bruises. But Percy on the other hand, has multiple broken bones, a serious head injury, and his lung almost collapsed.

The doctors told me that I would have been the same if he hadn't swerved. And, in an almost crazy way, I wish I was like him.

If I had these injuries too, he wouldn't have to feel like he was alone. He wouldn't have to suffer alone.

I'm sitting in his hospital room, my head in my hands.

I look up at him and feel a tear start to well up in my eyes.

As the tear trickles down my cheek, I scoot my chair closer to his bed. I grab his hand, holding it firmly in mine.

"Please, Percy. If you can hear me, please wake up," I mumble, tears starting to flow now. "Please, we need you. I need you."

I rest my forehead on our hands and cry. I can't really remember the last time I cried so hard.

The boy that I liked, was lying in front of me, in a coma. My best friend was in a coma, and there was nothing I could do but cry.

I hate not being able to do anything, it sucks not being able to do a single thing!

"Plea-please, wake up! The world isn't the same without you," I admit. "I can't think about the sun, or the rain, or a pool, or, or anything without thinking about you."

"You have to wake up!" I plead.

The heart rate monitor starts speeding up to a rapid pace before dropping so low, it's almost flatlining.

A nurse runs into the room, ordering me to back away.

Multiple people gather around the bed and watch the slow heartbeat. I keep my eyes on the heart monitor, praying for it to return to normal.

Then the terrifying tone of a flatline echos throughout the entire room.

My breath catches when I hear that dreadful tone. All the doctors and nurses get to work trying to bring him back.

This only made my crying worse.

Percy's mom, Sally, walks in the room, gasping.

I only met her three days ago, but her and I have become close. She came in soon after Percy and I got to the hospital. I recognized her from the pictures Percy has shown me, and I walked over to her.

I introduced myself before telling her what happened. We really bonded over the tears that were shed.

The doctors bring out multiple pieces of equipment, trying desperately to start his heart again.

"Clear!" One of the doctors yelled and Percy jerked slightly.

Minutes of this went on, Sally and I crying in the corner, hoping Percy would stabilize.

Then the doctors just stopped and looked solemnly at each other. "Time of death," the doctor looked at his watch, "5:46pm."

I feel a sharp pain in my arm and immediately call out in pain. I look down and see a small black tattoo that definitely was not there before.

A small picture of Percy is inked onto my arm. His crooked smile and bright eyes staring back at me. It was then that realization hit me like a ton of bricks.

Percy was my soulmate, and now he's dead.

Sally is crying in the corner, trying desperately to not full out sob, but who can blame her. Her son just died.