2

When lunch came around, I sat in my usual spot in the cafeteria waiting for Shaylen. I sat with girls that I knew but I wouldn't usually speak to them, I was either with Alex, on my phone or speaking to Shaylen. Today, I wasn't feeling very social but I thought to fast.

"Hey Selena, are you doing alright? You seem a little down," Allison asked me with worried eyes.

I've known Allison for years. We were friends in middle school and became closer once we started high school. Last year our friendship started falling apart because we got involved with distractions. I started dating Alex and she began exploring. She'd always try to reach out to me but it was only for her to speak to me about her problems which I sure didn't appreciate. I am not a doormat which I made it clear to her. Since then, we've only been friends at school and we don't speak outside of school grounds. I don't want to get stuck with her problematic world again. It comes to drain me and I hate feeling that way.

"I'm fine, Allison, don't worry about me," I brushed our conversation off by smiling. I didn't want any other questions asked. She smiled back at me and turned back to her friends. I took a bite out of my garden salad and I scrunched my figure when I realized the salad was past its expiration date. Disgusting... How can this day get any worse?

I pushed my salad away and pulled my phone out of my black hoodie. Since my salad was a huge disappointment, my phone would be able to occupy me while I waited for Shaylen. I spend my time on Instagram as I also secretly listened to the conversation beside me.

"Has anyone seen the new kid yet?" One of the girls spoke with excitement, "I spoke to him in our French class. I will never be able to get over those beautiful golden hazel eyes," she gushed to her group of friends.

"You're so lucky, Caitlyn," Allison shouted out in excitement to her, "I'm so jealous of you," they all laughed together. Boy crazy, I tell you. This is all they ever speak about.

"But Ally, you shouldn't be jealous, you already have a man."

"Not officially yet. I'd like to say he's my man but it's low-key girls," she said in a tone of defeat. She seemed upset. It sounded like she really liked this guy. On his side of things, he might have different feelings about her. Allison was the time to fall to quickly for someone. Maybe he has cold feet?

"Didn't you say you guys really hit it off during Christmas break? You seemed so happy." One girl said.

"Yeah but he doesn't know if he really wants to be official. It's complicated really," there was a silent moment between the table. I was still on Instagram minding my own business until another girl decided to speak up.

"Right," her tone sharp and quick. Someone clears their throat and Shaylen finally comes to find me.

"Hey Sel, sorry it took me so long. I bumped into Tanner and Justin. We ended up chatting for awhile," she explained herself and started eating her lunch.

"That's fine..." I put my phone down. "Wait...who's Justin?" I asked confused.

"He's one of Tanner's best friends from Canada. They grew up together and they have reunited. Tanner is super happy." Shaylen smiled big. Shaylen has been dating Tanner for almost two years now and they were sure my favorite couple. We were all great friends. I considered Shaylen a sister and Tanner a great friend.

"That's so cool. Best friend goals," I let out a small giggle and so does she.

"True though." It's like everyone knew this Justin kid. Everyone seemed to be so happy for him to be around.

"He'll be in our math class tomorrow. He's been changing his classes around. He's really nice."

"I bet. I can't wait to meet him." I now start to eat my chocolate cookies. There goes my healthy lunch.

"Tanner will be sitting behind us with him and he'll join us for lunch. We'll all have someone else to speak to now." She bit in her sandwich.

"I can't wait." I smiled.