thirty one

J u s t i n

I stare at myself in the mirror while buttoning up my shirt, nervously. We've had family dinners with Mandy but never with Brian. We was always working late night shifts so we could never make it, but I began to think that we was maybe avoiding me. 

I never had really introduced myself properly to him before. He did help with with our move, but other than that, I've never really talked to him.

 I didn't want him to think that I'm just a player or something, because that's not who I am anymore. I want him to see who I really am.

Also, it was the night where I was going to ask Selena to be my girlfriend. Yes finally. Right now, I think it's the perfect timing to ask her. Nobodies around to interrupt us and to ruin it.

"Justin, it's time to come down!" I hear my mother yell from the hallway.

"Okay mom, I'm coming down in a minute!" I yell back at her, fix my hair in the mirror and walk out of the room. I walk downstairs to the living room where I found my mom patiently waiting for me. "Look how handsome you are, Selena will be impressed," my mother smiles at me. She moves closer to me and began whispering. "Remember what I told you..."

"Yeah, mom, don't worry about it. I know what to do tonight" I smile nervously. "I just hope I can make a good impression. I really want this."

"You are going to ask her tonight right?"

"Yeah I am. I'm so nervous-"

"You two already act like you are a couple. It's normal to be nervous. If you weren't, I would be worried." She pats my shoulder and smiles. "It will go better than you think."

"Thanks mom." I smile and give her a small hug. I hold her tight and finally let go. Suddenly, Mandy pops out from behind and rushed over with the biggest smile on her face.

"Oh Justin, you look so handsome and Pattie you look gorgeous!" She beams. "For dinner, it's practically like a thanksgiving."

"Thank you so much, Mandy, we can't wait for dinner! And thank you so much for inviting us again." My mother beams as well. Mandy was so thankful and was pleased that we were having an amazing time here at the cabin. 

They both drift off towards the living room and open up a bottle of wine with Brian who had just recently settling  himself in the living room.

As I was about to follow them, I hear creak coming down the staircase. I turn myself around to find out what that noise was. Maybe it was only my imagination but instead, I saw Selena in a beautiful black dress that went up to her knees, revealing her tan legs, and her hair was down, letting her natural waves fall.

My figure in lightened with happiness.

"You look stunning, Selena," I spoke and slowly head towards her. She walks up to me and we both share a small peck on each others lips.

"Thank you, Justin." She blushes slightly, trying to avoid contact with my eyes. "I see you cleaned up very nicely," she smiles at me and touches the fabric of my shirt. "And for once your pants are pulled up; it's a miracle," she let out a small giggle. I chuckle.

"Yeah," I shoot her a smile. "I want to impress your parents."

"Justin, my mom loves you. It's only Brian you got to worry about... he's... he's very protective of me," she said, giving me a small hug.

"I'll try talking to him, maybe he'll like me?" I say unsure as I grab her hand, and walk to the living room with her.

"You'll be fine," she whispers into my ear as we sat down together, facing everyone. I put my hand on her thigh as she intertwine our fingers together. I kiss her temple lightly, causing her to blush. I couldn't help but stare at her. Everything about her just makes me go wild.

The girls went off to fix dinner and Brian and I we're the only ones left in the room. I was sitting next to him, but he never really talked to me, he only looked at my arms, which made me start to feel a little uncomfortable.

"Nice art work," Brian spoke deeply, flashing me a small smile.

"Thanks," I gulp hard and smile lightly, looking down at my tattoos.

"I've got a few," he tells me, sipping onto his glass of wine.

"I've got a few on my back and my chest," I tell him.

"I actually own a tattoo parlor downtown, I'm sure you've been to it since it's the only one in town," he let out a small chuckle.

"You've got amazing artists," I tell him genuinely.

"Thank you. I really appreciate that. You know, if you come around the shop, looking for some new ink, I'll give it to you free, since you are part of the family now," he shoots me a warm smile.

I was on good terms with Brian, even though we we're only speaking about tattoos, there's always a start for something right? I felt a sense of relief. 

I guess Brian was just a little shy to meet me. He's not a bad guy after all. Brian and I talked about all sorts things. I leaned that he really liked sports; especially basketball and he loved cars. We had a special bond.

Brian then turns to me with a serious look in his face. I look at him with suspension. Did I do something wrong? "I like you Justin, you're a great guy, but I know you and my daughter have something going and if you hurt my daughter in any way we are going to have some problems. You feel me?" He tell me in a serious tone, making him look really intimidating.

"I feel you, I would never hurt your daughter, Brian; I love her so much," I gently smile. He stares at me for some time before revealing a relived smile on his face.

"You make her happy, hold onto her," he tells me, patting my back as my mother told us dinner was ready. When all sat at the table and ate together as a big happy family.

↓↓

"Finally, were alone," I let out a small smirk as I got closer to her; I wrap my arms around her petite waist.

"You must be so tired of answering my parents questions. I'm so sorry, Justin..." She rests her right hand on my cheek and looks deeply in my eyes and her other hand rested my arm. I smile and lean down and connect my lips with hers. I kiss her softly and pull away with keeping our faces only inches apart.

"You don't need to apologize, Selena." I shake my head. "It's all part of getting to know your parents as well as getting to me. I want to make the best impression on your parents." I stareinto her eyes in a whisper.

"I might add that you're doing a great job. My dad likes you, Justin; I know you we're worried that he wasn't, but he does." She smile in a breath. With my hand, I move Selena hair behind her ear and take her hands in mine.

"Follow me, okay?" I spoke. She nod with narrowed eyes and follows with our hands laced together. I take her out to the deck and we watch the sun hit its final minutes of brightness. It was time, time to finally ask her what I've to say for so long.

My hand rests on her back.

"Is everything okay, Justin...?" She asks.

"Yeah, everything is great," I take deep breath and smile lightly. I take her hands in mine and only stare in her eyes. "We've known each other for a good solid month or so now and it's been one of the best months of my life. I know we've had our ups and downs, but I never changed how I felt about you through it. I adore your personality..." I caress her cheek. "And your smile." She smiles. "You make me happy, Selena..." I smile.

"Oh my god, Justin..." She breaks down into a whisper and covers a hand over her heart. Tears of joy slowly starts building up in her brown eyes.

"Will you be my girlfriend, Selena?" I asks, hopping she would yes.

"Yes Justin, a thousand times yes." She smiles happily and grabs the back of my neck and kisses me hard on the lips. As our lips touched I could feel her heart beating fast against my chest.

She wraps one arms around my neck and with her other hand, she trails it down my chest. Our chests were pressed together. I felt her smile against my lips.

It seemed like we we're the only people in this world. I would never forget this moment.