Epilogue

(Epilogue)

-17 years later-

“Where do you think you’re going?” Chase asked our daughter Lily as she was walking down the stairs.

“Uh…school?” She guessed.

“Not in that you don’t. Go change,” he demanded, giving her a stern look, daring her to refuse. 

“Dad,” she whined. “This is what all the other kids are wearing.”

“Well you’re not like the other kids,” he argued.

“Just because I’m a soon to be vampire doesn’t mean I can’t fit in with the other kids," she said.

Chase frowned at her. “Don’t make me tell you again.”

Lily let out a frustrated groan and stomped up the stars. “I can’t do anything in this house.”

“We love you to,” Chase chuckled.

I rolled my eyes at him and turned back toward the stove to flip the pancakes. “You know the more you tell her not to do something the more she wants to.”

“The joys of raising teenagers,” he joked.

“Hey we were teenagers once too, remember?”

He laughed. “We still are.”

“Only in body, not in mind.” I smiled.

That was more true than you know. Chase and I had really matured since we had the kids. When Liam and Lily were born we got our priorities strait. We moved from the palace with River, Lily and Liam to a little town where no one knew us. I would have loved to move back home but the fact that we hadn’t aged a bit would raise suspicion about us.

Chase sat down at the table and opened the paper to read like he did most mornings before work. We tried to keep as normal a life as possible for the kids because we knew that when the time come for them to transition that everything would change for them.

I didn’t want them to feel like they were missed out on anything. I wanted them to go to prom and hang out with friends on the weekends and have the chance to date normal people before it all changed.

“Something smells good,” River said walking into the kitchen.

“That would be your mom's cooking.” Chase replied.

“Sit down and I’ll make you a plate.” I said.

“I can’t or I’ll be late for school.”

“How is college going for you?” Chase asked.

“It’s college,” he shrugged.

“How’s the grades?” I asked.

“Great.”

“Have you made any friends?” Chase asked.

“Yeah, a few. What’s with the all the questions?” He asked slightly annoyed.

“We just want to know what’s going on in your life. Ever since you started college it’s like you’re never here anymore.” I said feeling a little sad.

He sighed in guilt. “I know, mom. I’m sorry. I’ve just been busy, that’s all.”

He hugged me to make me feel better and it did. He always knew what to do when I was upset. He was so much like Don though I couldn’t help but think about him every time I seen him. They looked alike, they acted alike and their personalities were alike. Every day it worried me that the prophecy would come true. Every time one of them brought home a girl or every time they had an argument I thought about that day it was all revealed to me. The only thing that put my mind at ease was the fact that Liam and River seemed really close. Maybe that meant something.