Chapter 32- A Mutual Understanding

(Chapter 32- A Mutual Understanding)

Chase POV

As I passed the floor of Dr. Kay’s office I tried to keep myself from breaking down in tears. I could never live with myself if anything ever happened to Ashlyn. If it weren’t for mine and Don’s fighting then she would have never been mad enough to start that fire. All I wanted was for Don to back off and get out of our lives. In the process of our conflict she was hurt and I don’t know if I could forgive myself for that.

“Any word?” Don asked me when in walked back in the room.

“No and don’t think that this changes anything between us.” I snapped.

“I feel the same, but we almost killed her today.” He replied. “Something’s got to give.”

I knew he was right but I hated to admit it. Something has got to change because it’s obvious that Ashlyn is unable to handle it. I don’t ever want to cause Ashlyn anymore pain so I know I have to do something to stop this.

“What do you suggest?” I asked.

He took in a deep breath and rubbed his unshaved chin before speaking.

“Maybe we could refrain from arguing in front of her. Just keep the peace until we are alone.” He said.

“I guess that would be best. We need to keep our problems to ourselves for now.”  I agreed. “At least until she is better.”

As much as I hated Don for killing my grandfather and Kidnapping my wife I would put that all aside for Ashlyn, that is how much I love her.

I know why she couldn’t hold a grudge against him since they were soul mates, but I still did. It is killing me to come to realize that but it was true. They are soul mates and I don’t know what to do to change that.

 Don has destroyed my life and interfered way to many times in my marriage, I want nothing more than for him to pay but I know now is not the time for that. I refuse to ever let it go though. Justice needs to be served.

“I know we don’t get along very well and you are upset about your grandfather but I was only paying him his due. I felt what I did was justified after he killed Arianna, even if it was an accident.” Don said. “If it were you in my place would you have done it differently?”

“I don’t know if what you have said was the true story but I guess if it were I would be furious to.” I confessed. “I would kill anyone who hurt Ashlyn.”

Don looked pleased with my answer but it wasn’t for his benefit, I was only stating the truth. Don hadn’t even harmed Ashlyn physically and I want to kill him so I know I would do it if she were actually killed.

“All wanted was a chance to be with my mate but that was taken from me and when I found her again I couldn’t let her go.” He said.

His statement brought up an interesting question I had been wondering about. If I was ever going to get my answers now was the time.

“How did you know about her?” I asked hoping for the truth.

Don didn’t look surprised by my answer so he must have been expecting it as he kept the same face he had through our whole conversation. You know if I didn’t hate Don so much he might be- No, no we couldn’t. Not even if he left us alone could I tolerate him.

“The day I broke into the palace to find Augusto I searched everywhere. I guess I must have stumbled upon your room because I found a picture of you and Ashlyn from your wedding hanging on the wall. When I saw her I was elated. I couldn’t believe my eyes. All I could think was I had to see her.” He replied smiling as if in happiness.