Chapter 5

A month of the new school year had passed and the two sisters had managed to maintain a relatively safe relationship with the people of Sweetnum Valley. Luna also was continuing her practice of the Protector of the Covenant while Venus helped Victoria with her telekinesis powers. The Zamolodchikova's decided to invite Venus and Luna to Victoria's first birthday party bash as their daughter. They didn't know who her friends were so they decided to send everyone in her class an invitation. Vladislav picked the bowling alley for the party's location so their house wouldn't be left in more of a mess than it already was.

There was a sense of anxiety looming over the Grbacs and Zamolodchikovas as they waited for Victoria's guests to arrive. Her classmates might've enjoyed watching her do little tricks for them at school but if Victoria went overboard with her telekinesis none of their parents would let them see her ever again. The first person to arrive was Daniel, Daniel's mom whispered to Alexei: "I didn't know you hang out with those people..." as she side-eyed the Grbacs. Vladislav chimed in and said, "Those people are our friends.". Once all the kids had come and their parents left the bowling began. Luna assisted in supervising and laying the food out but was overall disappointed that she didn't get to do any bowling. She thought, "When is something exciting going to happen?" and it was almost if someone had heard her because something did shortly ensue.

Victoria was continually getting strikes, not through her powers but from sheer talent. However, this angered Ava, a highly competitive girl on the other team. Ava whined, "It's not fair! I bet she's using her powers or one of those witches to help her.". Victoria retorted, "Am not!" and stuck her tongue out which further upset Ava. Ava started punching and kicking Victoria which triggered her into using telekinetic choking on Ava. Susan, Ava's best friend, tried to protect her but that only caused Victoria to start telekinetically throw things at Susan. Once the adults realized what was going on they tried to diffuse the situation but Luna worsened things. She was using a strength spell to hurt Victoria which lead to a bigger fight between the two of them. All the other kids were huddled in a corner, Alexei cried "Stop it, Luna! She's let go of the girls. Stop it!". Luna granted Alexei's wishes but it was not enough to save the birthday party. For the damage caused to the bowling alley, they were all banned from it and once word got round to the guest's parents of what had happened Victoria became very unpopular.

Venus was growing weary of whether or not she had the ability to control Luna. She thought, "Luna harmed a little girl, she's doing spells without my permission. What the hell am I going to do? At least if I screw up with Victoria, she isn't really family but with Luna, I feel like I'm letting down my parents.". She decided to visit the WSA (Witch's Society of America) without her younger sister to seek advice from the head witch herself, Violet. Violet had expected Venus's arrival so she made some tea and bought some desserts for the two to enjoy during their discussion. Violet asked Venus after she sat down, "What is it that seems to be troubling you?". Venus sighed and said, "It's Luna, I worry I am not doing a good job at taking care of her. I know you teach her the spells but when she is at home she uses them dangerously.". Violet took a sip of her tea and replied, "I've heard of countless young witches like your sister. The combination of hormones and power causes them to do crazy things.". Venus nodded her head but responded, "Yes, but what do I do?". Violet advised, "The issue is she doesn't fear you. You're just a few years older than her so she probably doesn't respect you. You'll have to start making the consequences bigger. I find when teaching her the best way to get Luna to listen to me is by being extra strict.". Venus listened to Violet but questioned her advice, she felt like grounding Luna was a big enough punishment. Venus thought, "I guess I'll just have to think of something worse.".

A few days later Luna and David were getting on her broomstick after school when she felt someone tapping her shoulder. It was this guy named Brian, he said "Luna! There are these jocks who have challenged me to a fight. Can you cast some spell on me that'll make me strong?". Luna nodded her head because she was used to doing these types of things now. David said, "Good luck Brian!" as he got off the broomstick. Though it annoyed him that he wasn't going to get to hang out with his girlfriend he did feel sorry because Brian gets bullied a lot.

Luna had a certain spell in mind but it required candles and she knew if she did it at her house Venus would see her she took Brian to bath and body works. Brian whined, "Oh I hate the smell in here! It's so chemically!" then Luna reminded him that she was doing him a favour. First, she used a spell to freeze everyone so no one could complain about her lighting the candles or interrupt her spellcasting. She lit two blueberry pie candles and chanted "Strength and courage may Brian possess, that what he fears, he may face. In winning through to the other side. On the victory, he will ride. And let this be done.". Brian exclaimed, "Let's see if it works!" and he threw a hand soap to the other side of the room. Luna was happy to hear the next day that Brian won his fight against the bullies.

Venus was walking towards her car when she heard Asali yelling "Wait, wait!". She turned around and asked, "What is it, Asali?" with a sense of fear that something dreadfully wrong had happened. Asali replied, "It's Friday night, we should hang out! Come on, I'm tired of spending every night in my dorm room doing nothing.". Venus said, "Sure, what do you want to do?". Asali's eyes lit up, she had assumed Venus would be so lame that she'd say she was busy. Asali responded, "Growing up in Karachi I'd always watch these western films where the girls have slumber parties and do makeovers, I want to do that!". Venus was hesitant because she didn't really want Luna messing up their night and if they were at her house Luna would be there. She thought, "At least she'll probably be out for most of the night with David, knowing her. She's head over heels about him.".

Venus was right, Luna was at the movies with David so she had the house to herself with Asali. Asali cried, "This is going to be so much fun!" and jumped. Venus asked, "What do you want to do first?" and Asali chose makeovers. She did a raid through Luna's beauty products and started applying an avocado facemask on Venus's face. This ended up being Venus's favourite part of the night because she loved the smell and it gave her, a neurotic person, a sense of calm. Asali said, "Okay, now that's done I'll apply some foundation to your face then do some eyeshadow, blush and lipstick.". Though Venus disliked putting on makeup she was happy to get to spend so much time with such a happy and fun person like Asali. They finished the night by watching Grease, it was Asali's choice, not Venus's but she went along with it.