Chapter 21

Eve was in a special class for Maths and History, due to her being at the first grade level in kindergarten. She would leave after religion class, or mass, depending on the day. It was held in a small romm off of theain office of the school building, taught by an elderly nun close to being the head of the monastery, only a few years away from a promotion. Sister Foster was a bright old crow, and encouraged Eve's questions, instead of finding them a nuisance, like Sister Patel. Instead she would answer them seriously, no matter how trivial. Eveay be young, but was still a person in Sister Foster's eyes.

Eve was not in the class alone, there were two other children her age. A boy with thick rimmed glasses, and blond girl with tight piggy tails. Eve didnt give enough of an interest to learn their names, just like all her other classmates. "How's your work sheet coming along?" Sister Foster turned her attention to the girl furosously staring at her paper, as if wishing it would ignight just under her glare.

"What are you stuck on?" the woman asked, wheeling closer om the desk chair. One look at the sheet and she found it blank. "Are you not trying or are you stuck?" Over the four months Foster has learned Eve's desire to not do school work, and just needs a bit of encouagment.

"I'm not trying," Eve scoffed. She had always been bad at subtraction. She could Handel simple subtraction, but ones it was in double diets she would get confused. She was indeed trying, but didn't want to admit she was stuck. The other two were easily doing the work, so she didn't want them to know she was worse than them. She thought it was pathetic; too smart for the regular class, but too dumb for the special class.

The nun sighed, knowing the girl was lying. She had learned the girl's many murcoexpressions. The one that had been in her face had not been of boredom, but confusion. "Have you tried to dot method?" Sister Foster questioned. She thought it Tobe something simple to help Eve grasp the idea of subtraction, but soon Eve became reliant on it. Though the nun wasn't fond of it, she figured not to push the girl into something she wasn't comfortable with.

" The numbers are too big," Eve pointed out, quickly dismissing her previous excuse of not even trying the work.

"Do the left numbers first," the boy offered his help. He came from five siblings, being the middle one, so he's used to giving and taking help. He'd figure anyone would be accepting of it, as they were at home.

Eve shot a glare at him. "Stay out of it, you butt," she hissed. She knew worse things to call him, but knew better than to insult him with a word he would not know.

"Eve," the nun gasped, "That is no way to treat another human being."

Eve proceeded to grumble and block herself off from the others with her arm. But by the wiggling of her pencil, they could tell she was drawing circles and crossing them out, the circle method. Eve knew her way took a lot of time and was inefficient, and she didn't like that. But she didn't like not being able to figure the questions out even more. It was the lesser of two evils for her.

Sister Foster just watched the three extrodinary students she had grown to care for in the past months. They were each unique and interesting in their own ways. Ethan was always helping others, but wasn't the most energetic child. It was as if he was saving all his energy to help others. Marilyn was always eager to make friends, taking any opettunity to talk to someone. She never really noticed when someone was uncomfortable with her, as she just continued to talk. Eve, cause a bit of worry in the nun. The girl was stand-off-ish, and distant, but you could tell she had a kind heart. She just had a hard time letting anyone into it.

A small idea popped into her mind. She knew these three, despite there traits and best efforts had trouble making friends. Eve was blatant why. Marilyn talked to much to let others enjoy themselves. Ethan didn't have enough stamina to keep up with others their age. Sister Foster had been in her profession long enough to know friends, while they don't ladt, are an important part of a child's life at their age. If they couldn't make friends themselves, she help the three of them become friends.

"How about we have a little party before Christmas break?" she asked the students. Two out of the three look excited of the idea. "I know you'll have parties in your own classes, but I was thinking having a small one with just us four." Eve still had her attention stuck to her worksheet. "We could do bring in some treats, and not work for one afternoon."

"Could we do a Secret Santa?" Marilyn questioned. "We could just make presents for someone, and draw names out of a hat."

"That's a wonderful idea," the nun agreed. Three of the four were happily planning away for whay was left of the school day. One was just grumpily sitting there, doing her work.

The bell finally rang to hens the school day. Ethan and Marilyn were quick to run out, while Eve was taking longer than usual, due to her injuries. Pain struck the old woman's heart. "Eve," she called out to the girl, "Could we talk for a moment."

Eve was quick to shake her head, knowing fully well what it was to be about. "Dad's waiting for me."

The nun stood up and approached the girl. "May I walk out with you then?" Sister Foster asked, "I'd love to meet someone raising such a lovely young lady."

"No," Eve said bluntly, before running off, despite her audible wince with the first rushed step.