Defence against the dark arts

A week had passed and Ron still wasn't giving up. He had been less persistent but he still tried every now and then, much to the couple's frustration. Hermione was dwelling on the though until Professor Lupin caught her attention.

"Now, class, in our previous attempt at studying boggarts, we had to cut it short, and therefore I feel it's appropriate to revisit it today. Anyone who had a turn with the boggart last year, join the back of the line that you should make now," he smiled as they all pushed and shoved.

At the front of the line was Ginny, with Blaise behind her. In front of Ginny, she saw a diary, that Harry recognised instantly. She saw her younger self, passed out on the floor, clutching it again with Harry trying to wake her up and Riddle stood above them. Her hand began to tremble but she pulled herself together and cast the spell, turning the scene into bubbles of different colour that exploded as fireworks. She stood to the side and Harry hugged her, reassuringly.

Next was Blaise, who saw a huge black panther, sat staring at him, threateningly. It's eyes were bright green, and Blaise recognised them instantly. The cat quietly growled before pouncing on him. He reacted fast and cast the spell, turning it into a jack in the box. As he walked to the side Draco put his hand on his shoulder and made sure he was okay.

Hermione was up next, and she saw a sheet of glass. She was confused at first but then, on the other side, she saw Fenrir Greyback with his claws to Draco's throat. Instinct over took her, and she pounded on the glass but couldn't get through. Her eyes began to go purple and she almost started crying before she heard Draco shout behind her, reminding her of reality. She took a step back and cast the charm, turning the figures into confetti.

She moved to the side in silence, and sat between Blaise and Harry. Blaise pulled her into a tight hug, reassuring her that it wasn't real while Draco faced the boggart. What he saw before him made him furious. It was Hermione and Ron, kissing passionately. He could hardly control his anger. When he didn't think it could get any worse, Hermione took her ring off and threw it on the ground without pulling away from Ron for a second.

"Ridikulus!" he turned away before he could see what it turned into and left the classroom, anger and pain radiating off of him. He went into the first empty classroom he found and cast a silencing charm on the doors before he let his rage out. He kicked the wall in his state of anger and pushed a table over, smashing the glass viles that were on it. Just as he began to calm himself, the tears came. And they showed no signs of stopping.

"It wasn't real. It's not real. It's not real, Draco," he kept repeating to himself as he rested his elbows on the wall, pulling his hair. He didn't even realise the door opening. He was having an outburst. Things were flying around the room, smashing and crumbling.

"Draco?" It was Hermione.

"It wasn't real,"

"Of course it wasn't real, Draco. I'm here and I want nothing like that to happen with anyone but you," he turned to face her and hugged her, crying into her shoulder as she ran her fingers through his hair wi h her arms wrapped round his shoulders.

"I'm so sorry Hermione. I'm sorry I'm just having a bad day today. I've got a lot on my mind and this has just pushed me past the edge,"

"Hey, it's okay," she took her free hand and pulled out her wand, silently repairing the room, when it was finished she continued, "come on, let's get you cleaned up. Blaise went and got some of your clothes and stuff, so you can stay with me in the room of requirements tonight. I imagine seeing that took a bad toll on you,"

She guided the crying mess of a man to the room of requirements before lesson change over. Lupin had given them permission to leave for the rest of the day- as defence against the dark arts teacher, he could spot a Veela from a mile away, but he didn't tell them that.

When they reached the room of requirements, Hermione pictured a huge bathroom, and when they entered it was waiting for them. Draco was in a terrible state. He was crying, and trembling. Hermione suspected some kind of a nervous breakdown before she recalled something she'd read months before.

"If a Veela is rejected by their mate they will die of heartbreak. The process will begin with symptoms of extreme anxiety including nausea, extreme sweating, lack of sleep, magical outbursts, vomiting, dizziness, uncontrollable crying and shaking. After a few days they will enter a phase of emptiness. They will experience no emotions, and will eventually not be able to bring themselves to move until they waste away into nothingness,"

Hermione began to panic slightly. She thought that the best solution would be to make him as calm as possible as quickly as possible. She stripped him of his clothes and guided him to the bath, gently reassuring him.

"It's okay Draco, it wasn't real. I'm here, and I never want anybody but you. Remember? I promised," after a while, the crying calmed down but the other symptoms he experienced remained.

She dressed him in the clothes Blaise had given her- grey joggers and a black t- shirt. She worried that he'd get too hot in the t-shirt but didn't want him to catch a cold without it- and therefore helped him put it on.

She sat him down on the sofa with a bucket between his legs, that he was sick in multiple times. She rubbed his back and assured him it would all be okay.

"I'm so sorry Hermione," he would say over and over again, and she denied the need for his apology each one of them.

"I love you so much "Mines," he whispered when he'd calmed down some more and the vomiting had stopped.

"I love you too, more than anything,"

The occasional object would float in the air, and Hermione would use her wand to silently bring them back down, before they were broken. Draco wasn't aware of his outbursts- and having them brought to his attention would only scare him.

Draco let out a soft yawn, and Hermione led him to the bed, helping him inside before changing into the clothes Ginny had given her for herself- a pair of red shorts and a white vest top. As she pulled her hair into a bun, Draco said, "you were the angel sent to fix everything that went wrong," she got into bed beside him with a smile, he'd composed himself at this point and was no longer in a trance, "I love you, 'mines," 

"I love you too, Dray," he leaned over and kissed her softly before spooning her.

"Thank you," he whispered before they both fell asleep.