A Paper Bird

The green flames flickered beneath the stone slabs. Draco sat holding his knees up to his chest, aimlessly. He practised the simple enchantment he had learnt over the summer. Making a paper bird fly. He watched it fly through the air, flying around the Slytherin common room freely.  His mind wandered selflessly, ultimately returning to the same person over and over again. Hermione Granger.

Of all the people Gryffindor had to offer, he was supposed to hate her most. A Gryffindor... a mudblood... best friends with Weasley AND Potter... but still there was something else. He couldn't put his finger on what it was exactly but she had a certain, unrecognised sparkle she didn't have before. 

The bird gradually returned to its original, lifeless position. Draco sent 2 more birds that intertwined and spiralled. Creating shapes; carrying themselves through the air. However, Draco intended on sending words through the air to deliver a message. 

He stared into the flames and let time pass by. Meaningless, effortless time. 

He sat content, for hours. Making birds and watching them fly. The cold floor beneath him contrasted the warm fire before him, that presented many greens and a small variation of blues. 

There was so much to focus on in this room yet, his mind kept returning to the person his chilly little heart longed for most. For once in his life, he was excited about potions! He hoped that Professor Snape would arrive fashionably late, giving him the opportunity to actually talk to her. He knew deep down that he had to give her the note the following morning, the butterflies he could feel in his stomach proved that. 

He eventually decided to go to sleep, he wanted to look his best the next morning, it was going to be a long day if his plans went wrong.