The Great Hall

Draco woke up with the sun and proceeded to get ready for the day. He looked at his timetable to check what other lessons he would be joining Hermione in that day, besides potions. 

Herbology, divination and charms. He hated all of the lessons he had that day apart from flying... usually. But not today. 

He sat, staring out the window until he was soon interrupted by Goyle waking up and sluggishly dragging himself out of bed. He thought about what he planned on saying to his new found interest. He hoped that he'd be paired with her in potions... or at least divination. 

Without a word, he took himself to the great hall. It was desolate, just the way he liked it. Every morning he tried to get there as early as possible to just sit and think. Let the morning embrace him. But this particular morning he had a stroke of luck. For all alone on the Gryffindor table... sat Miss Hermione Granger, with her head buried in an old leather book. (He expected nothing less) He walked up behind her and coughed a few simple words.

"Hey, Granger..." he seemed to have gotten shy, which was completely foreign to him.

"Malfoy?"

"M-Mind if I sit with you?" 

"Sure I don't see why not," he sat beside her being careful not to sit too close or too far away from her.

"I... I'm sorry for how I've treated you... calling you mudbl- being horrible to you... disrespectful..."

"How do I know you're serious?"

"Because... because... well I don't know just... just give me a chance? please?"

"Why do you show an interest in me all of a sudden? You've always hated me, why now?"

"Because I realise how foolish I've been and I feel differently about you know... I am different... I promise you. I'm honestly so sorry for everything I've done it was unacceptable, I see that now..." he looked down at the table and Hermione put her hand on his shoulder.

"Apology excepted," she held her hand out and they shook hands, both of their faces lighting up with anticipation. They noticed that neither one of them wanted to let go of the other's hand; they looked into each other's eyes, both of them feeling a sparkle. Draco leant in a little, as did Hermione. Their hearts started beating fast and faster until-

"Oi Malfoy! Leave her alone!"

Draco hung his head; his face sinking alongside his heart and Hermione sighed timely.

"It's fine Ron, honestly," Ron looked at her in disbelief, and then looked at Draco the same way when he didn't react, "Draco and I were just talking that's all,"

"Draco? since when were you two so friendly?"

"That's none of your business Ronald!"

"It's fine 'Mione, I'll leave,"

"Okay..." she seemed a little sad, "I'll see you in potions class?"

Draco's face lit up, "without question," he winked when Ron turned his back, and they both smiled as Draco returned to the Slytherin table, still watching Hermione and frequently making eye contact. He had a book open in front of him, pretending to read whilst eating an apple. He decided that it was the right moment to send the bird. as he prepared his note, he kept returning his focus to Hermione, who kept looking over in anticipation as she pretended to listen to Ron.

Draco sent the bird and it made a few loops and a heart and gradually made it's way to Hermione. She smiled and looked up at him.

"What's that?"