↳ CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN

SICK AND TIRED, Freja wasn't even surprised when she woke up in the hospital, her entire body feeling like it had been tied to a dozen anvils, although in reality she had been attached to several machines with tubes sticking out of her arms, and ...

SICK AND TIRED, Freja wasn't even surprised when she woke up in the hospital, her entire body feeling like it had been tied to a dozen anvils, although in reality she had been attached to several machines with tubes sticking out of her arms, and her leg had been hoisted above the bed with a tight package around her shin. For a moment, she wasn't sure if she was even alive, and the wonder if everything had only been a nightmare followed soon after, but when she tried to look around and every inch of her disagreed with a sharp jolt of pain, she winced and supposed that she couldn't escape reality.

"Hey", Ravi's breathless voice was like the song of an angel, making it easy to forget the beeping and her own heavy breaths, and when Freja managed to turn her stitched-up face over to where he had been before, too — a chair pluckily planted next to her bed with no intentions to walk out — the bud of fear and panic in her chest died away. Against all odds, her lips curled up, and no longer cowering from what her heart was telling her to do, Freja reached for his hand and he was quick to grasp hers while falling victim to her contagious smile.

"You're a sight for sore eyes", she whispered, her throat aching from all the screaming and crying she had done. "How long have I been here?

Reaching for the small table behind him, Ravi never let go of her hand, but his smile sure gained power when he proudly showed the bag of chips he had gotten for her. "Sore everything", he corrected while tearing the package open with his teeth. "You were awake here and there but almost a whole day. The surgery really took a toll on you." With narrowing eyes, Freja tried to recall being operated on, but with one glance at her patched leg, she guessed that she had been in the need of one, anyway.

"Pretty sure I shouldn't eat those, then", she croaked out with a weak nod at the chips, and with an agreeing nod, Ravi proceeded to munch on the salty potato slices by himself. Once the amusement was fading away, however, the dread of how things had been when she had passed out settled in and Freja's smile disintegrated on the spot. "Where's Major? Liv? Elliot?" she listed all the names she could think of with the memory of Major's blood on her hands sending shivers down her spine, and before any more could slip from her tongue, Ravi was putting the chips away and lifting a comforting hand.

"Elliot and his fiancé visited you earlier with your mothers who are still here. I just told them to go and get something to eat. Your brother, though, now that's what I call a hero. They both gave Blaine a taste of his own medicine. Before, um, Liv stabbed the jerk with the cure and made him human", Ravi elaborated, every sentence a new curve that Freja couldn't have possibly prepared for, her lips twisting into every possible direction from faint smiles to shocked frowns. She had been unconscious for a day — this time without a punch to the head — and she had missed far more than she had anticipated.

"You got the cure?" she picked out the one thing that poked at her heart without anything additional, her grip on Ravi's hand tightening as she eyed him with admiration and pride. He, on the other hand, didn't seem quite as delighted, even if he had achieved the impossible.