↳ CHAPTER NINE

TIMES LIKE THESE, Freja really regretted never getting her license and therefore being unable to drive from one location to another, but times like these, she also really, really appreciated Matilda — the woman in question was speeding t...

TIMES LIKE THESE, Freja really regretted never getting her license and therefore being unable to drive from one location to another, but times like these, she also really, really appreciated Matilda — the woman in question was speeding towards the hospital with one hand on the wheel and the other paying comforting attention to the dog Freja had never gotten the time to take back to her neighbor, while the Barrett sat in the backseat in a total state of panic, Major hardly strapped in next to her.

None of the kids at the skate park had deemed it their responsibility to help her out, and while Freja guessed that calling 911 would have been a better idea, she had instinctively dialed Matilda who had taken only five minutes, if even that, to show up and help haul the unconscious man seemingly made of pure muscle into her car. Freja was still clueless as to how Major had ended up in a state like that, but she couldn't ask any questions, simply repeat shallow breaths and ghost her hands over the face that looked like it had been put through a blender without actually gaining the courage to land a single touch on the swollen and cut skin.

"First Holly, now this", Freja exhaled shakily, her voice barely carrying in the tense air as she gnawed on her bottom lip, the thought of zombies long gone and her first and foremost concern being Major's well-being. "First Holly, now this, oh my God", she repeated, silently wondering if she should have taken the falling of her friends as some kind of sign — maybe she was next, maybe Matilda was, or Liv or Peyton. Maybe Ravi was in the line of fire, too. Maybe all this did have something to do with zombies or something else new and unfamiliar.

Matilda was about to offer words of solace, but she didn't get to when Major stirred awake, his forehead creasing in pain as he coughed and tilted his head from side to side on the seat Freja was supporting him on — there was no way he'd be able to sit up by himself. The sight of him regaining consciousness earned a relieved sigh from her, her shoulders relaxing as she reached out to press a gentle hand against Major's chest.

"Hey, Major. It's gonna be okay. We're taking you to the hospital", she rambled, almost cracking a smile as she tried to maintain her confidence, but every second she spent looking at his rearranged features chipped away at the assurance behind her words. As if to make sure she wasn't talking to herself, Matilda glanced over her shoulder, a huff escaping her mouth too when she saw Major's eyes slowly opening and looking around the dim vehicle in utter confusion.

The last thing either of them expected was to be argued with, and yet, that was exactly what he did as soon as he had nearly coughed his lungs out. "No, no", he disagreed, his hand landing on top of Freja's as he struggled to shake his head. "Morgue. Ravi will help", he insisted weakly, leaving Freja unsure if her stomach did a flip at the crazy idea or the mention of Ravi, even if she scoffed in disbelief — he really was in no position to make any demands.

And still, Matilda swerved around on the empty road with a tight grip on the dog's leash, but less regard for Freja and Major who both bumped against the walls with similar groans.