↳ CHAPTER TEN

JUST LIKE RAVI had promised, the chaotic energy surrounding Freja in a cloud of sheer panic was slowly fading away and only a proper night's sleep helped rearrange her thoughts and at least try to come to terms with Holly's death — it was...

JUST LIKE RAVI had promised, the chaotic energy surrounding Freja in a cloud of sheer panic was slowly fading away and only a proper night's sleep helped rearrange her thoughts and at least try to come to terms with Holly's death — it was significantly easier once she was informed that her killer had been found. Major had come out of the long day alive, too, albeit unwell, but knowing that he was still kicking made it easier for Freja to spend the next day at family dinner and then playing video games with Liv — while she hadn't expected the invitation, she had happily accepted and hours had blurred by with them ranting at their laptops while video chatting with Ravi. Even if Freja had sneaked around enough to peek into Liv's fridge and never stopped expecting something new to drop at her lap, it was the most normal she had felt all week and she hadn't realized she had missed it so dearly.

Once Matilda got out of work, however, the life of a relentless researcher resumed as the two sat in the Dean's car on the side of the street across from the infamous skate park. After lecturing Major on the dangers of seeking the Candyman out on his own, Freja had decided to take her own advice — she was determined to inspect the situation, too, but she wasn't stupid enough to go into risky territory plagued with kidnappings without back-up. And since Matilda's attempts to bring up the missing kids at work had been shot down despite teaming up with Clive in doing so, she hadn't taken more than a second to agree to join Freja in her late night ventures.

"Have you seen Major today?" Matilda wondered after handing Freja the money her neighbor had paid for walking her dog last night, and while stuffing the bills into the pocket of her jean jacket, Freja shook her head. She had made sure to call Matilda as soon as she had gotten home from the morgue, one of them assuring that the man was alright and the other promising the same for the elderly lady's Maltese, but after that, they hadn't had the chance to catch up, until now, enveloped in the peace of the old Mercedes.

"No, but I texted him plenty of times and I talked to Ravi. He said that Major is, and I quote, feeling better but taking full advantage of his kind-hearted roommate. Something about foot rubs and dinners in bed", she faked Ravi's accent with surprising success, earning a snort from Matilda — they could easily picture the latter happening, but unlike Ravi, they were rather amused by the idea, both of them grinning as they eyed the skate park.

"I'm glad", Matilda nodded approvingly before turning off the engine and collecting her keys from the engine. "Do you want to just sit back and see if something happens or head over there?" she steered the topic back to the current matter at hand, her soft eyes silently confirming that while she was the one more equipped to handle threatening situations, she was still there for Freja, not the other way around. The wordless promise coaxed a smile from the Barrett — even if she was an outspoken personality, Matilda never undermined her or acted superior, and Freja appreciated it endlessly.

"I mean, obviously we need to go to the heart of the action, right? Not much we can do from here", she proposed with a lifted eyebrow, and already halfway through an agreeing nod, Matilda shoved her keys into her pocket and made a move to step into the darkening evening. As a detective, she had done her fair share of stakeouts, and while they often proved beneficial, she couldn't deny that sitting around wasn't one of her strengths, just like it wasn't Freja's.