↳ CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

BORN A BELIEVER, Freja had always been one to rely fully on faith — not necessarily so strongly from a religious viewpoint, but when it came to humanity and things beyond it, her family and friends, even herself and her wildest dreams, she consi...

BORN A BELIEVER, Freja had always been one to rely fully on faith — not necessarily so strongly from a religious viewpoint, but when it came to humanity and things beyond it, her family and friends, even herself and her wildest dreams, she considered herself unyielding. Sometimes it was difficult to tiptoe the line between open-minded and naive, and while the past few weeks had done nothing but take swings at her faith in everything around her, she was regaining hope and courage. And, after all, those wildest dreams had gone from an impossible distance to right at her fingertips, even if she had found a lot more than she had bargained for in the process.

One thing she certainly hadn't expected, was standing in the back of a butcher shop owned by a bunch of murderous zombies, a shotgun in her hands and the bloodstains on her face suggesting that she had already pulled the trigger on someone. In reality, she was the one who had taken a hit, one that she had barely had time to climb back up from when Major had shoved a weapon in her hands and told her to hide while he went around the shop with deadset intentions clearly in mind. Even when she knew that she had never held a gun, making it all the more unlikely to use it properly, she felt a rush of bravery course through her veins, mixed with reasonable fear as she waited for either Major or one of her kidnappers to come through the door.

Once Freja simply got out of her own head, the abundance of noise raging inside Meat Cute pushed her to the very edge of her attention, her stare roaming from the relentlessly whirring meat saw next to her to the freezer where the fire was slowly dying out with Blaine's unlucky goon still recovering from Major's sucker punch. While pure violence was utterly uncharacteristic for Freja, apart from affectionate slaps on arms, she didn't hesitate to rest her finger on the heavy trigger — she was done being a victim and a prisoner when all she had wanted from the night was a date with the man she cared so much about.

Major was nowhere to be seen, but soon enough, gunshots were ringing through the shop, reaching above the music someone had turned on. Flinching with deep-rooted hope of Major being the one delivering the bullets, Freja gulped and grasped the gun tighter in her hands, but the terror really surged in her chest when the head chef and another brawny zombie snuck to the back with knives and guns in hand, no doubt meant for the Lilywhite.

When neither of the two spotted Freja, she swallowed thickly and considered following Major's lead and taking the shot, but she didn't have time when the man himself was showing up from behind her. "You're not getting bored, are you?" he whispered over the Barrett's shoulder, effectively startling her but she didn't have time to yelp or argue when he had shot the man, leaving the lady chef to defend herself with the butcher knife Freja supposed she was more than talented with.

"Please, Blaine—he did this to me, I'm just an artisanal butcher, a—a chef. Please", she was quick to beg for her life, the clasped hands and the cowering in front of the two guns earning extra sympathy points — not only from Major but Freja who almost lowered her weapon with a frown already forming on her lips.