↳ CHAPTER TWELVE

FREJA'S NEXT STEP after proving the existence of zombies had always been building a bridge between them and humankind, but with Liv's and Ravi's pleas to keep the virus a secret, that no longer posed as an option

FREJA'S NEXT STEP after proving the existence of zombies had always been building a bridge between them and humankind, but with Liv's and Ravi's pleas to keep the virus a secret, that no longer posed as an option. She didn't have to go through the crisis of figuring out her next goal, however, because it was now obvious that she needed to survive — and sure, there was still a lot that she hadn't gotten to ask Liv and the case of the missing kids was nagging at the back of her head, too, but right now, as she sat on her couch and impatiently waited for Blaine to text her, her only objective was to make it through the date with the big bad zombie of Seattle.

Matilda had stopped by earlier, not only to help her figure out what to wear as if they were straight out of a cheesy rom-com, but to put together a plan of some kind, and instead of arguing yet again, Freja was taking every piece of advice to heart. Going out with a human kidnapper was one thing, but to spend the evening with a creature either blessed or cursed with unimaginable strength and a ravenous hunger for brains was another.

That was, ultimately, why Ravi and Liv had made their way to Freja's apartment as well, the latter unloading her jitters into adorable sandwiches she was making in the kitchen while Ravi sat next to Freja on the old couch in silent support.

"For what it's worth, you look marvelous", the Chakrabarti broke the silence in the apartment with a quiet comment at her outfit, nudging Freja softly and startling her out of her thoughts in the process, and already shyly brushing the hem of her skirt, the woman broke into a flattered smile.

"Thank you", she breathed out, the gratitude born not only from the compliments but for letting her in on the zombie secret and for being there now — once Freja had explained why she had practically cornered Blaine into suggesting a date, Ravi and Liv had both sworn to show up at her place after work and they hadn't gone back on their word. "I haven't really gone on dates. Like, ever. So, it's a little weird that my first official date is basically an attempt to get something incriminating out of the Candyman, of all people", she huffed out while discreetly tugging her curled hair away from her face and shrugging. It was no lie that she wasn't very experienced when it came to relationships, partly because she had never found dating important, partly because she had devoted herself to her research rather than anything else.

The look that descended onto Ravi's features was, albeit free of judgment, surprised, and so was the amazed sigh falling from his lips. "You really aren't making it any easier for me to let you go on this indescribably dangerous date", he pointed out, but the partly joking tone was easy to forget when he placed a comforting hand on her knee and Freja's chest tightened at the gesture. "I promise, you'll have all the wonderful dates to your heart's content once you simply make it through this one", he reassured with half a smile, before rushing to add, "I mean, I don't know with whom, but someone."

Freja couldn't stop herself from grinning — maybe she already had someone in mind — but she didn't get the chance to say anything when Liv was circling back from the kitchen and almost shoving the thick sandwiches into Freja and Ravi's hands. "That scoundrel better not cross any lines tonight. If you need us, we'll only be a message away. And apparently, so will Matilda and your brother, so, you have an army of loyal friends ready to help", the Moore ranted vehemently, her finger wagging in the air as she stood in front of the couch and made sure both of the two got started on the snacks she had prepared.