↳ CHAPTER FIVE

DAYS OF RESEARCH passed until Freja was breaking free from the confines of her home simply to gently approach Liv and Ravi with everything that she had learned, and with her weekend plans with the latter being just around the corner, it w...

DAYS OF RESEARCH passed until Freja was breaking free from the confines of her home simply to gently approach Liv and Ravi with everything that she had learned, and with her weekend plans with the latter being just around the corner, it was safe to say that the rest of her week had already planned itself for her. She wasn't quite sure what she had stumbled on, but she recognized potential from afar and she would have been foolish to abandon the topic now when she was so close to figuring things out — perhaps she could even begin to fantasize about regular pay checks with a lot more hope, too.

Once she had exchanged a few words with Matilda before the woman had been called on a case, Freja was casually hopping down the stairwell to the morgue, almost used to the custom by now. The place didn't quite terrify her as much anymore, and the involuntary cringe that threatened to bloom on her face quickly transformed into a smile when she spotted Liv and Ravi on opposite sides of one of the tables, discussing something serious from the looks of it. As soon as Liv noticed Freja though, and greeted her with a solemn wave rather than an adoring smile, the attention drifted to her and Ravi's shoes squeaked with the hasty spin he made to face the Barrett with both of his hands covered in guts.

"Freja!" he breathed out, surprised but positively so, only for the budding smile to die as soon as he remembered the insides in his hands, encouraging him to quickly roll the organs onto the nearby scale. "We didn't expect you today", he continued, taking the lead while Liv stayed by the corpse in silence, and after ditching the bloodied, purple gloves in his hands, Ravi approached her with a grin. "Not that I'm—we're disappointed, by any means. But I do believe there are better places to hang out in than the morgue." Witty as ever, he pulled a laugh from Freja who nodded in agreement, yet made no move to walk out.

"And I'd be more than happy to check those places out with you both, but I wanted to run something by you", she began carefully, clasping her hands together as she stepped aside to steer her attention to Liv with soft eyes. "Peyton told me you were, uh, at the boat party that happened a few months ago", she mentioned with a wary tone, sure to avoid stepping over any boundaries — frankly, when Liv looked up from the body and stared at her blankly and without emotion, she had no idea if she was still on the right side of the figurative line.

"I was", was the curt, straightforward response Freja received without anything more to go on. However, she wasn't warned to shut up or tread carefully, either, so after glancing at Ravi who was silently watching the situation unfold, Freja cleared her throat as an attempt to continue.

"That must have been so hard. But, um, I'm not here to give you the speech that you've probably heard a thousand times. I was wondering if you saw or heard something? Did someone attack you or something? I've been doing some research and connecting it with my old notes and I think there might have been something weird going on", she poked at the topic with much more restraint and modesty than usual — any other time, she would have dived right in, cut to the chase and rambled on about her theories, but remembering all the body bags, all the death and destruction, it convinced her to take a more mellow approach.