↳ CHAPTER SIX

FREJA HAD ALWAYS been a realistic romantic — not a hopeless one like Elliot, or both of her mothers

          FREJA HAD ALWAYS been a realistic romantic — not a hopeless one like Elliot, or both of her mothers. She believed in love, and she wanted to find it, but it was the one thing that she didn't have blind faith in, the one thing that she needed proof of. Maybe it was the worry of all good things, relationships included, coming to an end or maybe it was the fear of rejection that was spinning the suspicion of finding a person that would be the one. Free of judgment, always full of support, loyal and understanding. Marian and Willa had always set a great example of a healthy relationship, but it had been at the expense of another one — how could Freja ever be certain that she had found her so-called soulmate if people who thought the same filed for divorces every second?

          Elliot, on the other hand, had always been the optimistic one when it came to relationships. Planning a wedding was like a dream come true for him, and unwilling to squash it, Freja didn't present any questions about how durable his and Julian's marriage could possibly be, even when jumping from one bridesmaid dress to another was getting tiring.

          "I don't know what you've been smoking, mauve is clearly your color", Julian commented from the loveseat he had made himself comfortable on with a glass of bubbly champagne, and narrowing her eyes at him through the mirror Elliot was forcing her to stay still at, Freja tried to think of something snarky to retort back with, only for Elliot to strike faster.

           "No, it's the glasses", he added coolly, biting on his lip as he straightened the back of the dress before glancing at Julian and then gesturing at Freja's face. "Doesn't have them on, see? But it's okay, because I think this is a winner, too."

          Guessing that perhaps they were united in their bitter remarks, Freja snorted but didn't fight back when she turned back to her reflection and silently reviewed the sight that awaited. "It's your wedding", she finally spoke, giving up her previous stance of wanting to change the color of the dress, "I'll wear whatever you want me to. And at least it has pockets." To be chosen as the sole maid of honor and bridesmaid next to Julian's best man of choice was, after all, a great honor she wasn't shrugging off too lightly.

           Her agreement got both Elliot and Julian clasping their hands together in relief, and after sharing a high-five, the latter was rushing away to make arrangements with the owner of the quaint little shop they had decided to spend their Saturday in — before Freja would meet Ravi at his new house. Even if true love had her a little skeptical, she enjoyed witnessing moments that were significant for others, and from the sneaky smile on Elliot's face, she concluded that this, otherwise mundane situation was making him happy just for being another step closer to their wedding. And as far as soulmates went, she wanted to believe that Elliot had found his.

         "How did you know Jules was the one?" Freja couldn't hold back her tongue once she had stepped back into the dressing room, the thick curtain separating her from Elliot who audibly stopped gathering his sister's things from the floor. She wasn't sure if it was too ridiculously easy of a question, or if it was one of those things that didn't have a proper answer, that it was just a feeling, but it didn't stop her from prying while twisting her arm in unnatural positions to unzip the mauve dress.