↳ CHAPTER THREE

FORTY-FIVE MINUTES and half a wine bottle into the dinner that Freja had feared to be their most awkward yet, it was as if Ravi had always been a part of the Barretts, as if him stopping by was second nature, and every concern about hav...

FORTY-FIVE MINUTES and half a wine bottle into the dinner that Freja had feared to be their most awkward yet, it was as if Ravi had always been a part of the Barretts, as if him stopping by was second nature, and every concern about having trouble with conversation obliterated itself on the spot. He had struck Freja as charming, sure, but whatever hints of shyness had threatened to seep through felt nonexistent as he simultaneously cracked a joke that made Elliot laugh to a point of gasping for air, and refilled Marian's glass on the side. He had fit in perfectly, and it made the evening all the easier for Freja to enjoy, too, even if Liv had missed everything.

"So, Elliot, how's work treating you?" Willa inquired between chuckles at Ravi's commentary, repeating her habit of asking the more mundane questions — it was a habit that both Freja and Elliot appreciated, however, the interest in every aspect of their lives, but they also knew the reason behind the extra effort. Whereas Freja had always had two mothers, Elliot had been, albeit young, there when their family had undergone several, big changes all at once. Although he had assured that tantrums thrown as a child didn't mean a thing anymore, Willa always attempted to close the distance between them more than she did with Freja — she had always seen Willa as a mom, whereas Elliot had taken a while to shed off the image of a new step-mom.

"It's good. Lots of interesting stuff going on", he delivered the same, vague answer that he always did, and before Ravi could do the courtesy of asking where he worked, Elliot shot him a smile from across the table. "Big company with a bunch of secrets. I'm not really allowed to say a lot yet but I think you'll hear about it sooner than later", he explained apologetically, and with an understanding nod, Ravi mimicked zipping his mouth and handed the invisible key over to Freja, who happily joined the game and pretended to toss it across the room.

Even if everyone had already eaten their stomachs full, Marian and Willa refused to let anyone leave until they had gotten to know practically everything there was to know about Ravi, from the grossest parts of his job to how he liked to spend his free time. In the process, they tried to coax stories out of Freja, comparing their interests less than sneakily, but she supposed it was a good way to get to know him better, at the very least. Only when they had high-fived over Star Wars and video games, the women happily got out of their seats, prepared to collect everyone's plates together in one pile — at that point, Ravi was lifting an arguing hand.

"I believe this was one of the greatest dinners I've ever had the privilege of attending, so, the least I can do is help with the dishes", he insisted, rushing out of his own seat and extending a warm hand for Freja to take, as well, and unsure what else to do, she accepted and climbed out of the chair before grabbing Elliot's plate and sliding it across her own.

"Yeah, yeah, you guys sit down", she added with a wave, "we'll take care of all this", mostly aiming the reassurance at her mothers, but when Elliot slumped back down in obedience, she settled for a sharp glare rather than a proper fight.