A word

Kayla's pov

We held onto each other for what felt like hours letting it all out which is exactly what needed to be done. We had been strong for far too long. What Maggie said was right. I knew I was blaming myself for Beth's death, but it wasn't my fault. Sure it would always weigh on me, but I couldn't let that get in the way of keeping my twins alive. Keeping daryl alive, keeping me alive. I needed to be 100% for them. Once Maggie pulled away, we both smiled at each other. I wiped my eyes and she grabbed my hand,

"C'mon let go outside"

I hesitated, but nodded. She smiled and we walked out on the deck. The fresh air felt great on my hot face.

"Where's daryl?" I asked.

"Went hunting should be back soon" she smiled.

I nodded and then I heard a small voice yell, "mommy!"

I turned seeing my twins run up to me with michonne walking behind them. Maggie let go of my hand as I smiled and bent down to their level as I took them in my arms. No matter how much something was bothering me, having them in my arms always made up for it. I picked elaina up with one arm and Connor held my other hand at my side. Michonne was smiling down at the kids which was a surprise. Michonne doesn't smile much.

"Thank you for watching them while I....ya know" I sighed.

She looked at me with gentle eyes,"no problem...we all need to break down sometimes"

I nodded and then I heard from behind me,"mrs. Dixon?"

I turned and my eyes widened when hershal stood there. He smiled lightly,

"Mind if we have a word?"

I hesitantly nodded as Maggie took elaina from me and michonne grabbed Connors hand walking away. I watched them until they were out of sight and turned slowly back to Herschel avoiding his eye contact. I was shaking and truly terrified to speak to him.

"Will you look at me" he asked.

I sighed and started to lift my head up, but immediately stopped. I couldn't do it. I couldn't bring myself to look into the eyes of Beth's father. I heard him sigh,

"Ya know losing people will never get easy. Especially when they're family."

I nodded still avoiding eye contact. He chuckled,"ya know Beth looked up to you."

That brought my head up quickly. He smiled,"she always admired your courage, your strength, yer stubbornness. Said she wanted to be just like you, but I wouldn't let her. Maybe of I would've she would still be here right now..."

"Hers..." I started to say but he cut me off,

"I'm not blAmin myself if that's what you think. I'm not blaming you either." He said.

I remained silent and he sighed again,"Beth made her own decision yesterday. Sure it was the wrong one and it cost her her life, but now I know she isn't suffering anymore. She doesn't have to wake up in fear anymore and that pushes me through"

A tear slid down my cheek as Herschel pulled me into a hug. It startled me at first, but I wrapped my arms tightly around the old man. He was like a grandpa figure to me. We were broke apart when someone cleared their throat. Turning I smiled seeing daryl standing there awkwardly with his crossbow on his back.

"I'll leave you two to talk" Herschel smiled and patted my back.

I smiled as he walked away and daryl walked infront of me,

"Ya good?"

I nodded and wiped a tear on my cheek,"yeah I'm good"

"Good" he said kissing my forehead.

"Hey!" Rick said coming up behind us.

Daryl put his arm around my shoulder and asked,"what's up?"

"Pack your belongings and get everything in the cars, decided we're goin to head to mason" he said.

We nodded and he walked away to tell the others. Once packed, we had gotten everything in the cars and everyone was ready to leave. The twins once again rode with Rick, Carl, and Judith as I was on daryls bike. As we lined up to leave, I took a glance back at the old house. It had done us well for the past few weeks. The sun shined brightly causing me to blink, but when I refocused I saw a figure standing on the porch. I squinted my eyes to get a better look. It was Beth. My heart sank as I gasped. She smiled at me and waved as the motor to daryls bike rumbled and we started to move. I quickly grasped onto his waist, not Tearing my eyes from the figure on the porch who was still smiling so sweet and innocently as she waved.

"Goodbye Beth" I whispered as the house began to disappear from sight along wih the figure of a once young and innocent girl.