I'll find her

Daryls pov

I woke up before anybody else like always, but today was different. Elaina and Connor were still asleep so I softly got up setting them down on the ground. I got up and slung my crossbow on my shoulder and started packing up for my trip. I looked back over to my kids. A pang in my chest startled me, but I quickly shook it off. I had to keep focused. I sighed and saw a bag with our things that didn't look familiar. I picked it up and unzipped it. I reached in and pulled out the Polaroid Camera. I sighed and set it on the ground, reaching in again. There was a bunch of little papers. I pulled some out And saw it was a bunch of pictures. Damn that girl took a lot. I looked over em and pulled out one with her and the kids. They were making weird faces. I blinked back a few tears and smiled at the picture. I put the picture in my pocket next to the one of her asleep. I sighed and looked at the others. The next one was of her, Rick and Carl. She looked so happy and unafraid. A tear escaped my eyes and I quickly wiped it away.

"daddy?" A small voice asked.

i quickly turned and saw elaina rubbing her eyes. I just looked at her. My heart shattered because looking at her was like looking at kayla. A splitting image and it was killing me. I quickly forced a smile and walked over to her bending down to her height,

"hey sweetheart"

"why are you crying daddy?" She asked.

"I'm not" I said.

"but your eyes are red. Is it because of mommy?" She asked.

i sighed,"no I'm ok"

"dad is mommy gone?" She asked.

i looked at her deep in her blue eyes. Those eyes were the only thing she got from me. I shook my head,

"no she's not gone. I'm gonna find her and bring her home"

"can I go with you?" She asked.

"no I need ya to stay here and take care of Connor, keep im out of trouble. Ya listen to yer grandpa ok?" I said.

she sighed,"will you come back?"

"ya I ain't ever leavin you." I said looking down to Kayla's locket she had around her neck.

"I'm scared daddy" she whispered.

The determination inside me grew. Not only did I need to find her for me, but for them. They needed her just as bad, hell if not more. I picked up the locket part,

"You see this necklace? This necklace means yer brave. Yer a fighter just like yer momma. You can do this Lainey, yer my strong little girl alright?"

Tears spilt down her face as she nodded. I nodded and stood up kissing her on her forehead. I fought back the tears again and walked away. People were starting to wake up now. I grabbed my bag and heard someone behind me,

"hey"

i turned and and saw Rick and Maggie.

i nodded and threw the bag over my shoulder next to my crossbow.

"You about to head out?" He asked.

"ya. Just said bye to the kids, ya gonna keep en eye on em right?" I asked.

maggie nodded,"of course"

"keep em safe." I said sternly.

Maggie nodded and ran up to me, hugging me. I flinched at first and didn't hug back because of how surprised I was.

"Bring her back" she whispered.

i nodded and she walked back to Glenn. I looked at Rick who looked worried and strained,

"in a day we are headed to fort mason so if ya come back her and we are gone, ya know where to meet us"

I nodded,"thanks"

"when you find her, you bring her back safe" he said seriously. I nodded and the I heard what sounded like chopping and someone yelling in frustration.

rick and I both turned and saw Carl throwing his knife forcefully into a tree. I arched an eyebrow and Rick sighed, pinching his nose.

""what's up with him?" I asked.

"he's been like that since she didn't come back. He won't talk to no one. Not Connor, elaina, judith. I've tried but he just yells" he sighed.

i nodded and patted his back,"take care of em"

he nodded," ya both come back alive"

i nodded and and walked over to Carl. If he noticed me, he didn't act like it and continued stabbing his knife forcefully into the tree.

"What that tree ever do to you?" I asked like a smart ass.

he turned to me breathing heavily. His cheeks were red and eyes were puffy. I have never seen him like this,

"what do you want? Dad send ya over?" He asked pissed.

"nah, imma bout ta leave" I said.

"why?" He asked grabbing his knife out of the bark.

"gonna find er" I said.

"Shouldn't waist your time" he snickered

He turned but didn't look at me. It shocked me the response he gave me. He wasn't like this and it kinda pissed me off,

"why the hell ya talkin like that?"

"cause it's pointless! She's gone and she's never coming back! And you won't either and those kids will be without parents and we will have to take care of em!" He spat.

that got me pissed,"don't you dare say that to me! You think she'd want to hear ya sayin stuff like that!" I spat back.

"she ain't here! And she's never coming back! She's gone!" He cried.

i froze and watched as he broke down into tears looking at me panting,"I promised I would protect her and the twins! I didn't and now she's gone! She's dead! We both broke our promises daryl! She said she'd be here forever and she's not and it's all because of me!"

i stepped slowly infront of him,"you listen to me. It ain't yer fault or no ones fault alright? She did what she did to protect Connor and elaina. We're in the same boat here and I know how yer feelin. She ain't dead and when I find er I'm gonna bring er back. She's strong. She's a stubborn ,idiotic, hotheaded woman that we both love. She ain't gonna give up"

he looked at me defeated and with tears streaming down his face. He was broken, but he finally nodded. I patted his shoulder and dug into my pocket. I pulled out the picture of him and Rick with her and placed it in his hands. I heard him whimper and I whispered,

"I'll find her"