Don't be late

The cool air blows on this hot Georgia day. A lot has happened in the past 5 years. Things that I thought would only happen in horror movies. Terrible things. Some good has come also, but no girl ever dreams about getting married and having kids in the zombie apocalypse. My twins are 5 years old now. Connor is a splitting image of daryl and he acts just like him that it's almost scary. Elaina has his eyes, but favors me. Carl is 17 now. I remember when I first met him he was 10. He was my reason for living and is still a a main reason. Our promise still stands. Rick has made quite the little society in this prison. He's an amazing grandfather and father. Sure he's a lot more uptight and over protective now, but can you blame him? After toms group, I don't trust anyone and I'm crazy protective over Connor and elaina. Connor has been begging to go hunting with daryl which I was completely against. I didn't want him out of my sight, but daryl convinced me her up have to learn sooner or later. In this world you probably won't make it to living to be old so you really never know what day your last is going to be. Glenn and Maggie got married also. Maggie and I are still as close as ever. Now I sit and watch elaina play with Judith in the courtyard worrying about my husband and son out hunting. I knew I could trust him with daryl, but a mother never stops worrying. Hearing my daughter laugh brings a huge smile to my face and makes life worth living. I sigh and felt an arm wrap around my shoulder. I look over and see Carl.

"hey shorty" he smirks.

i roll my eyes,"just because you're taller than me doesn't give you the right to call me names" I smile.

"you use to" he said.

"ya that's cause I'm older. Now respect you elders squirt" I joked elbowing him in the gut.

he immediately let go of me and grunted,"hey not fair"

i laughed,"that's what ya get for callin me shorty"

he smiled and I heard elaina scream,"daddy!"

i turned and and saw Connor and daryl entering the gates with elaina running up to daryl with her hands stretched out for him. He scooped her up in his arms and hugged her tightly. I smiled. Daryl has been an amazing father. They started walking to me and when they reached me daryl leaned down and gave me a kiss with elaina still in his arms and Connor walking beside him,

"hi"

"hey" he smiled.

thats another thing, daryl actually smiles now. I looked down at Connor,

"hey bud! How was hunting!"

"it was awesome!" He smiled excitedly.

"that's great! Did you catch anything?" I asked.

"no." He responded sadly,"but I did get to kill a walker! It was awesome!" He perked up.

my smile immediately fell and I took a quick glance at daryl and back to my son,

"you did huh?" I asked worriedly.

"ya, dad helped me but I killed him all by myself." He smiled proudly.

this really worried me. I didn't want any walkers near my kids at all. I looked to daryl kinda pissed. He knew how I felt about it. He sighed and set elaina down next to Connor,

"guys go play with Judith"

"ok! Come on Connor!" Elaina smiled pulling Connor back out to the court yard.

once they were away, I crossed my arms over my chest. Daryl sighed,

"alright before ya get all mad.." He started to say but I cut him off,

"you let a walker get close to him! Daryl I've talked to you about this! I don't want them any where near those things!" I whisper yelled.

"I kno, but I had it by its arms and cut off its jaw. It couldn't bite or scratch him" he said.

"I don't care daryl! He is 5 years old! He shouldn't be worrying about at, he should be worrying about being a kid" I said.

"well being a kid in this world involves that. Plus I learned how to survive when I was younger than him" he said.

"you didn't have a choice" I snapped.

"ya well neither does he, he's gotta learn sometime or else he won't know what to do" he said.

"ya well while I'm here he'll never have to worry about that" I said.

"who knows how long that'll be" he grunted.

i looked at him shocked he said that," thanks for the confidence in me daryl"

"look I'm sorry I didn't mean that, it's just ya gotta let em grow up. I know you're scared, hell so am I. And while I'm around nothing's gonna touch them or you. You can count on that, I just want em to be ready" he said.

"I know. I just want them to have as normal as a childhood that they can without having to constantly worry" I sighed.

"unfortunately they don't have that decision." He said.

i sighed and leaned in to kiss him," I know. I'm sorry I snapped. I'm just an overprotective mother I guess"

he smiled," it's alright, it suits ya. But being stressed gives ya wrinkles"

"great" I whined.

"come to think of it, I think I see a few" he joked.

i playfully hit him on the chest,"fuck you"

"when and where" he smiled.

i rolled my eyes,"wow dixon"

he chuckled and leaned to whisper in my ear,"tonight, guard tower, don't be late" and he walked away leaving me blushing.