28| The One I love

**Present Day***

Joshua

I was finally going to confess my love for Isabella. I wanted nothing but to be with her. As I drove along the highway, I was body present but absent minded because the only thing I wanted was to see her face and tell her how much I loved.

I sped along the lonely highway smiling to myself. The next thing I knew, a truck had run into my Mercedes Benz and I turned the steering wheel trying to stay on the highway but all to no avail.

Before I knew it, I was screaming as I watched my car fly into the nearby bush after which is tumbled upside with me inside it.

As a huge chunk of the broken wind shield pieced into my head, I knew I'd met my doom.

Isabella

"Isabella!" my mom's voice brought me out of my deep sleep. I pretended like I couldn't hear her but she kept tapping me and I was forced to get up.

"What is it? Don't you know I need my beauty sleep?" I whined like a five year old.

"It's not only beauty sleep" mom said, "Because you're an actress we won't hear word again. Please come downstairs we have an important visitor"

I reluctantly dragged myself downstairs and on getting to the sitting room, I wished I hadn't left my room.

"Bella please come and sit down" mom pleaded already aware of my plans to go back upstairs. Katerina also looked at me with pleading eyes. I'm sure she was the one who had invited our biological mom to the house.

I didn't want to hear anything she was about to say but I took a seat anyways.

"Katerina told me everything about how you found your biological mother" mom started "Isabella I think you should hear her out"

I kept mute not knowing exactly what to say. I didn't want to hear anything coming from the woman sitting in front of me claiming to be my mother but a part of me wanted to know what she had to say.

"Please, Isabella hear me out. I'm really sorry" she started "When I conceived you both I was so young and naive. My parents had thrown me out of the house and forced me to marry the boy that had gotten me pregnant"

"Of course when I'd told Samuel I was pregnant for him, he abandoned me and didn't want anything to do with me" she was going to start crying anytime soon and I knew it, "But he died in a car accident not long after and I was alone once again"

"When I came to Lagos, I stayed with my aunt until I finally delivered and it turned out to be twins" she paused. "Knowing I'd have to raise not one but two children was devastating for me so I left one at a stranger's doorstep and the other at an orphanage. That was the hardest thing I'd ever done in my life but I told myself it was for the best"

"That's it? That's all you want to tell me?" I found myself asking.

"I'm really sorry Isabella" she said and I immediately got up to leave.

"I have less than a month to live Isabella" that made me turn around immediately.

"What?!"

"I have leukaemia. The doctor said there's nothing they can do" she explained, "The only thing I want to do is spend the last remaining days with my daughters"

I didn't know what to say. Of course now I knew I had no choice but to forgive her even if I didn't want to.

She knelt down before me and that melted my heart instantly. I knelt in front of her and gave her a hug. It was then that I'd realized I was I already crying. I felt someone join us and I knew it was Katerina.

"I forgive you" I whispered. I let the tears in my eyes roll down. Mom kept smiling while she watched us and I smiled back at her.

Biological mother or no biological, my mom would always be my mom. She took care of me all these years and even put up with my rebellious character for so long.

I promised my biological mom that I would spend the rest of her days with her.

Katerina's phone rang making her pull away from the hug. She answered the call and for a moment she smiled before her face immediately changed to a shocked look.

"What?! I'm on my way" she hanged up and got up looking at me with a worried look.

"What happened? Who's that?" I asked all at once.

"That was Stephanie" she said, "She just informed me that Joshua had been in a car accident yesterday and has been in a critical condition since then. They don't know if he's going to make it"

"Oh my God," I immediately got up, "Wait for me. I'm going with you" I immediately ran upstairs and changed. I picked up my phone and ran down the stairs.

I was first to run out of the house like I would save his life when I got there.

I'd never been so worried in my entire life. I silently prayed that he would survive.

Not far from our house, we saw a wrecked car in the bushes. "Jesus... That's Joshua's car" I felt my eyes tear up once more.

"The car is a mess" Katerina added, "But why is it here?"

"I don't know" i replied

"Oh my God. What if he was coming to see you?" Katerina gasped.

"He kept calling me..." realization had finally hit me. But what could've been so important that couldn't wait. Why did he have to get in an accident on his way to my house?

When we finally got to the hospital, Sandra and Daniel were already there. I'd called them on our way.

After seven years, I saw Stephanie again. She had changed a lot. She was now as slim as a model.

"He's currently in surgery" Stephanie informed us, "He's brain was damaged in the process. We might have to go abroad"

"Oh Lord" Sandra murmured.

I finally took a seat and tried to process everything that was happening.

I realized I still cared about Joshua very much. In as much as I'd never admit it to his face, he was still on my mind every minute of the day. The only thing I wanted was for him to survive.

"He will make it" Daniel whispered to me as if reading my mind.

"I hope he does" I replied.

A/N
Sorry for the short chapters but this way, the updates will be faster. Expect another chapter today 😉

Thank you immensely for reading and supporting this story.

I love y'all ♥