18| Goodbye

Dedicated to hafsiiifarouk__

One month later.
January, 21st

"Isabella Nwankwo," one of the reporters who were waiting outside the courthouse called out "is it true that the judge has sentenced Mr. Stevens for rape? "

Without answering any of their questions or turning back to see the multitude of TV reporters and camera men following us, I made my way to the car with my mom, Katerina and her dad following me. The Stevens family were wealthy and powerful. It was almost impossible to defeat Mr. Stevens in court but with a solid proof, a good lawyer, and his daughter Stephanie as an eye witness, we did it.

"Is it true that you still have feelings for Joshua Stevens? " I stopped on my tracks when I'd heard that from one of the reporters.

I turned back to see Joshua a few feet away from the car I was about to enter. He looked like he was about to say something but I beat him to it by saying "no, " to the reporter who had asked the question before I got into the car and Richard drove off.

During all the court trials we'd been having since early January, I tried my best not to make any eye contact with Joshua. My mom had gold me that Daniel and Sandra had attended most of the court trials but I hadn't noticed their presence.

I finally felt at peace with myself. For some time, my name and picture has been aired on television channels as the girl who claimed to be raped by Mr. Stevens, a well known politician who was supposed to be running for Senator the same year.
I knew I was not just getting justice for myself but also for all the girls who he had probably abused and they couldn't say anything or fight back. I had hoped that my had at least teach two out of hundred men in the society that taking advantage of a woman was the worst thing you could do to her.

The night that Mr. Stevens raped me, I was supposed to be attending Stephanie's sweet sixteen birthday party at Liberty Hotel. Although I was still Stephanie's constant bully and nightmare back then, I didn't miss her party. While at the party, a middle aged man approached me. There weren't many adults present so it was odd. He started telling me how beautiful I was and stuff like that. I had no idea he was Stephanie's dad but I found it disgusting. A waiter who was carrying some glasses of wine on his tray approached us and the man urged me to have a drink. Me, being a sucker for alcohol back then, gladly took one glass and gulped it down and the man walked away. But he must've been watching me 'cause immediately I got dizzy, I felt someone carry me and started walking away. I couldn't tell if it was Mr. Stevens himself or someone he had sent, either way, I was too weak to protest.
The next thing I knew, I was being molested by a man in a hotel room. He left me there helplessly in the room after he'd forcefully taken my virginity.
The next day I threw a tantrum at home and left Lagos without telling anyone what had happened to me. I was just too ashamed.

January, 26th

"Bella, someone's here to see you" mom said on opening the door to my room and without giving me a chance to ask who it was, she left.

I reluctantly went downstairs to see who it was that had come visiting. It was Sandra, and her infant son.

"What are you doing here? " I asked Sandra who was seated comfortably carrying her son.

"I came to see you, " she said "we actually, came to see you" she looked down at her child.

"you told me you had an abortion," I tried to get angry with her, but I couldn't. It was nearly impossible "why did you lie to me? "

"I'm sorry. I now realize my mistakes and I'm deeply sorry for everything" she looked sincere and my heart would be made of stone if I couldn't forgive my childhood best friend over one mistake.

"I forgive you," I said before taking a seat beside her "but I'm leaving for the US in a few days"

"I know, your mom told me. But why do you really have to go? You can't always keep running away when things get tuff you know " I took the little boy into my arms and he smiled at me which resulted to a chuckle on my part.

"what's his name? " I asked purposely ignoring what Sandra had said.

She let out a sigh and said, "Trump"

"that's a unique name " I complemented and we both laughed a little

"I just need sometime away from everything. I need to be in a different environment you know?" I said referring to her previous question

"when are you going to be back?"

"I don't know. I guess time will tell " I simply said

"Daniel really loves you. At least give him a chance" Sandra said, taking me by surprise

"You're the mother of his son, "

"that doesn't mean anything," she cut me off "he loves you, you love him, so I don't see the problem "

"I don't know what to say Sandra" I didn't know what to say because I wasn't even thinking straight at the moment.

February, 2nd
I arrived at Murtala Muhammed International Airport feeling kinda relieved that I was finally going to start a new life away from the mess I'd made of my life. My mom and Katerina had made me promise to Skype them every week. Surely, I'd have to keep in touch with Sandra and baby Trump too. I made a mental note to send Sandra some baby stuff from America.

My luggage was being loaded when I received two new messages.

Daniel 10:05am
Don't leave yet, let's talk first. I'm on my way.

Joshua 10:06
Are you really going to the US? We never had a chance to sort things out.

They sent these messages after I had ignored their numerous calls. Somehow, I wanted one of them to run through the door and stop me from leaving but that was not going to happen and I knew it.

"The flight for the US leaves in two minutes, all passengers are advised to board the plane immediately" a female voice announced.
I took one last look as around to see if Dan or Josh would come running after me, and when I didn't see neither of them, I decided to finally board the plane.

Hope you enjoyed this chapter. Please do vote, comment and tag your friends.
And watch out for my new book coming out on January 1st, 2019!!!
👋 👋 👋