33 ~ rileytown

"In what ways do human beings resolve conflict?" Cory Matthews asked the class in one of his many history lessons.

"Bring in the mama," Zay said.

"They talk it out," Farkle said.

"They go to war," Lucas said.

"Why can't they talk it out?" Farkle questioned.

"They go to war," Lucas said.

"Oh, okay," Zay said. "You and me against Farkle."

He shakes hands with Lucas.

"They talk it out," Farkle repeated.

"They go to war!" Lucas raised his voice.

"Let's get him!" Zay said.

Farkle takes out a styrofoam ball gun and shoots at Lucas and Zay.

"You shoulda talked it out," Farkle said.

"Many conflicts escalate and do no end well," Cory said. "The story of Alexander Hamilton and Aaron Burr is a prime example. Anybody know what happened? Riley?"

"Please stop picking on me," she responded.

"What?" 

"They had a duel," Gabriel said.

"Yeah, and Burr killed Hamilton," Farkle added. 

"In 1971, Burr captured a senate seat from Hamilton's father in law," Cory said, "which launched their rivalry. Then Burr accused Hamilton of publicly insulting him."

Riley received a test on her phone.

"Riley, no one should be texting you in class."

"I agree," she said. She turned to Maya. "I don't want you to say 'Rileytown' anymore."

"What?" Gabriel questioned. 

"I like Rileytown," she said. "I like you and I like to sat whatever I want."

Gabriel looked at the two girls, quite confused.

"Now BUrr challenged Hamilton to duel to resolve their conflict," Cory continued his lesson.

"Maybe that's what we should do," Riley said.

"Maybe you want to hear what happened to them first," Maya suggested.

"Hamilton believed the duel wasn't morally right, so he fired his pistol in the air," Cory said. "Burr, believing he had been shot at, fired at Hamilton and killed him. So, why am I telling you guys a story about what happens when you fail to resolve a conflict peacefully?" 

Caleb put his hand up.

"Caleb?"

"People get hurt."

"What do we need to learn? Cory asked his class.

"I need to learn how to resolve a conflict," Riley said.

"What's going on?"

"She thinks I'm bullying her because I keep saying something she doesn't like," Maya explained.

"A bully isn't someone who says something you don't like," Cory explained. "A bully is someone who uses power and intimidation to hurt others. There's a big difference between having a conflict with a friend and having a bully. So don't just throw that word around."

"There are words you shouldn't throw around, either," Riley said.

"What? Like Rileytown, the place where you live because you're there right now?" Maya asked.