06 ~ new friendships

The new school year is approaching and Gabriel was dreading it. It was already hard moving to a new place and starting over. It makes it harder when Gabriel has to start a completely new school with new people. His siblings wont be there to help him. His mother won't be there to take him to school.

Gabriel looked down at his notebook as he sat on at Nighthawk Diner. He didn't think too much of the diner. He thought it was a good place to get away from Riley and Maya, but he was wrong.

"I didn't expect to see you here, Gabe," Maya said, sitting right next to Gabriel.

"Yeah, me too," Gabriel agreed.

"What're you doing here?" Maya asked. 

"I needed to get away from you and Riley," Gabriel replied, honestly.

"Why would you want to get away from us?"

"I just... I needed to clear my head," he responded.

"This is the first time I've seen you not mad or annoyed," Maya pointed out. 

"Yeah, I know," Gabriel said. "What are you doing here?"

"My mom works here," Maya informed Gabriel. 

"Oh," Gabriel said. "I didn't know that."

"Now you know," she said. "What do your parents?"

"My dad's a police officer," Gabriel said.

"That's cool," Maya said. "What about your mom?"

"She was...." Gabriel said, "she used to own a shop back home. It was a coffee shop."

"She used to own a coffee shop?" Maya asked. "What happened? Did she sell it or something?"

"No," Gabriel said.

"What happened than?"

"I don't want to talk about it," Gabriel said, looking away. He looked down at his notebook. 

"Why won't you tell me what happened to your mom?" Maya asked.

"Because I barely know you," Gabriel responded. "How do you expect me to tell someone what happened to my mother if I only met someone a little while ago."

Maya didn't say anything immediately.

"Why are you always angry?" Maya asked. "I'm pretty sure that's not the real you."

"You're right,' Gabriel said. "This isn't the real me. It's all because of what happened to me a couple of months ago. Before summer started."

"Is this connected to your mom?" Maya asked.

"It has everything to do with my mom," Gabriel said.

"Why won't you tell me?" Maya asked. "I get it, you don't trust me. Or Riley. But other than that."

"I don't want to talk about it," Gabriel said.

"Fine," Maya said. "Whatever."

After a few minutes, Riley had come. 

"Hi, Maya," Riley greeted Maya cheerfully. "Hi, Gabriel."

Gabriel turned around on his seat as she greeted him.

"Hey," Maya said.

"What're you doing here?" Riley asked Gabriel.

"I came here to be alone, but you two are here now," Gabriel responded. He looked down at his notebook. He decided to close it so Maya and Riley won't read what he had written.

"Whatcha got there?" Riley asked Gabriel.

"Nothing," he said. "Just a notebook."

"Right," Maya said. 

Riley sat next to Gabriel. 

"So," Riley said, "do you want to be our friend, Gabe?"

"Friend?" he repeated.

"Yeah," she confirmed, nodding. 

Gabriel didn't have an answer. He would like a friend here in New York, but at the same time, he'd much rather be alone. 

"Fine," he said. "Why not?"

Riley smiled, happily. Having two friends here is much better than not having any. At least he won't be alone when he starts school. As much as he wanted to be alone, having Riley and Maya as friends is much better than not having any.

"Don't expect me to have this optimistic, happy personality," Gabriel said. 

"Does it look like we care if you're going to be a downer?" Maya asked.

Gabriel rolled his eyes at Maya.

Now, Gabriel is stuck with Maya and Riley. 

A/N:

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter. This chapter is just a filler. I wanted them to be friends already before I got to part two and I'm planning on ending part one real soon. Like a chapter or two until we get into season one.

Anyway, I hope you all enjoyed this chapter.