11 ~ the subway

Cory entered with Farkle still on him. 

"Down, Farkle," Cory said.

"You're looking at us pretty hard there, Mr. Matthews," Maya said.

"I just wanna stand by my girl," Riley said to her father.

"You missed the moment to stand by your girl," Cory said. "You were so busy trying to be her, Riley, you forgot the best think you can do for her us be you. Riley, Gabe, take Farkle for a walk."

Both Gabriel and Riley walked away with Farkle.

"Gabe," Riley said, softly, "are you mad at me?"

"No," he responded.

"You don't look to happy," Riley said.

"Since when did he ever look happy?" Farkle said.

"Yeah," Gabriel agreed.

"Then what are you?"

"Disappointed," he said. 

"I'm sorry," Riley said. "I just wanted to be like Maya."

"Now look where it got it."

***

"Riles? Gabe?" Maya said.

"Hm?" Gabriel said, looking at his friend.

"Yeah?" Riley said.

"If we can't hang out with each other as much anymore, don't worry about it," Maya said.

"Wait, why would...." Riley started.

"He's going to make you end our friendship," Maya said.

"Just because Mr. Matthews might make you guys end your friendship doesn't mean he's gonna make me," Gabriel said. 

"He said that?" Riley asked.

"He's really upset with me, guys," Maya said. "And he might not want me to hang out around Gabe, as well."

"He loves you," Riley said.

"I don't think so anymore," Maya said. "I just want you to know that I get it wouldn't be your fault."

The woman from this morning clapped.

"Bee - you - ti - ful!" she said. "You three got a sweet thing going, but where's your other hunk?" she paused for a moment. "You aunt got no other hunk, you ain't got no story!"

Gabriel raised his eyebrows at the woman.

"I haven't been your good friend," Maya said to Riley. 

"You're my best friend," Riley said. 

"She's your best friend," the woman said. "Best friends are important. I have a best friend. I'm not talking to her right now."

"Seriously?" Gabriel asked, his voice cracking. 

"I go too far," Maya said. "And I don't think that's going to stop. I'm bad for you."

"He said that?" Riley asked. Gabriel turned his attention to both Riley and Maya.

"He will," she said. The subway stopped. "This is your stop. Don't be me. You don't go as far as me."