09 ~ the new kid at school

"Why do we need to sneak out of the house if we're not doing anything wrong until we sneak onto the subway?" Riley asked Gabriel and Maya.

It's been weeks since they started the seventh grade, and everything seemed to be normal. Gabriel had grown comfortable in this new routine. It took some getting used to, but he managed to adjust. He may have made new friends, he always found himself in Riley and Maya's company. There was something about them that drew him to them.

"You think you're ready to just walk by your parents?" Gabriel asked.

All of his family have noticed a change in Gabriel. He seemed to go back to the old Gabriel, but they can tell that there's still the bitterness, anger, hurt and sadness in him. They knew he was just bottling them down. They knew that sooner or later, he'll lash out. They just patiently waited until that day came.

"I think I'm ready," Riley said.

"Let us see your face as you walk by your parents," Maya said.

Riley made the face.

"Why are you making that face at us, Riley?" Maya asked, pretending to be Cory and Topanga Matthews.

"Because I'm sneaking out to the subway," Riley said. She then pointed to the window. "Out the window."

"Let's go," Maya said.

Gabriel knew better. Maya and Riley crawled out of the window only to stop.

"Daddy! What are you doing out here?" Riley said. Gabriel couldn't help but chuckle.

"Being smarter than me; how come you're always smarter than me?" Maya asked. 

The two girls crawled back into the window, backwards. Cory Matthews than crawled through the window.

"Here's what I'm thinking," Cory said. He pointed at the bed for Riley and Maya to sit on. "It's not your world. It's still my world. Because if it was your world, Maya would have you on the subway already, thinking you put something over on me. But you didn't. Know how I know? Look art you. You're right here."

"How long do I have to live in my father's world?" Riley asked.

"Until you make it yours," Cory said. "Riley, do you know what I want more than anything? Go ahead. Make it yours."

"I will," she said. "And when I do, will you still be there for me?"

Topanga than entered the bedroom. "Right here. We'll be right here," she said, smiling. 

Riley and Maya looked at each other than at Gabriel.

They left the room. Gabriel hadn't left just yet.

"Watch out for those two," Cory said.

"Will do, sir," he said. 

"Good."

***

Gabriel followed Maya and Riley down into the subway. As they were heading to wait for the subway, someone who goes by the name Dweezil was playing the drums on garbage cans. Maya and Riley danced along.

"Dweezil!" Maya and Gabriel said.

"Maya! Gabe!" Dweezil said. "Who's the new chick?"

"Chick! Down here I'm a chick!" Riley said, happily. "No wonder my parents don't want me on the Subway."

"Right," Gabriel said, not convinced that her being a chick in the subway is a reason.