Chapter 13

"What hurts us the most is the feeling of being replaced. It feels like no matter what you did, It wasn't enough."

⚜️

Peter was mad but his anger wasn't towards Aurora, it was towards himself. He couldn't be mad at Aurora for two reasons, one she's dead, and two it was his fault. He drove her into the arms of another man and even though she didn't cheat on him it still hurt. You see in Peter's mind, when a man cheats they do it physically, but when a woman cheats it's emotionally and that's way worse then her having meaningless sex with someone else. But apart of him still thinks that there was something going on between her and Derek, he even accused her of cheating on him but she denied it. She may not believe it but Peter did notice the change in her behavior and the only way to find out what was going on was to keep reading.

After going through about five letters he finally found one dated around the time she met him. He hated to doubt her even in death but he had to know.

Dear Peter,

So I've been hanging out with Derek some more lately, he even came back with me from Greece. You've probably noticed my happiness lately or maybe not. Normally I fake being happy but with him around I don't have to fake it. Just him being here makes me happy and you should be glad that all my attention is on him and not you and your mistress. For once in my life I'm not constantly trying or thinking about fixing our marriage.

The other day you no right to call me a whore when all you do is whore around. So that tells me that you have noticed my happiness and my absence lately. Just to clarify, I'm not cheating on you. I would say I haven't thought about it but let's be honest Peter, we both know I have and I don't feel guilty about it. Why should I? You don't feel guilty when your feeling up Chiara in the office, do you? I don't have anything to feel guilty about unless I actually sleep with him.

I've been working on a project lately, with Derek. While I was in Greece we came up with this idea, we wanted to start a charity for men/woman that are in an abusive relationship whether it's mental, verbal, or physically. So we turned that idea into a reality and were starting off small. Did I mention that Derek invests in start up companies for a living? It just makes it easier for us. We're both funding the project until we get on our feet then hopefully the charity donations will keep it up and running.

What really pisses me off though Peter is that you think I would cheat on you. Have you met me? I'm the most loyal person in your life. All I ever did was love you, and all you ever did was hurt me Peter and I don't know why. So next time you try to accuse me of something that your guilty of, make sure you have proof.

And also remember that I'm your wife, when I don't want to be your wife anymore I will let you know, but I will always love you. There's nothing Derek can do or say to make me stop loving you. Even if he respects me or treats me better he's not the one I tied my soul to, you are peter and never forget that.

With much love,

Aurora

Now it all made sense. All the fundraisers that she keep going to and the phone calls she was taking when she went to events with him. It was all for the charity she was building and he didn't even notice. He had to make it up to her in some way, so why not donate to her charity.

A week later Peter tracked down Derek and set up a meeting at the charity's headquarters for later that day but when he got there Derek wasn't exactly happy to see him...at all. He blames Peter for her death just like her entire family.

Peter walked to the secretary and told him that he had a meeting with the boss. When she said that a look came on her face...pity.

"Mr. Davis, we were heart broken when we found out about your wife, you have all of our condolences here at Women & Men United." He thanked her and proceeded to Derek's office with her directions.

He knocked on the door. "Come in." He heard faintly from the other side of the door.

"Peter." Derek said in a monotone voice.

"Derek, it's nice to meet you." He offered his hand but Derek just stared at him.

"Wish I could say the same, what do you want?" He was taken back by the rudeness but he could understand where he was coming from. Peter pulled out a check made out to the charity and handed it to him.

"Five million dollars? Why all the sudden interest?"

"Look I know I screwed up Derek and all I can do is thank you for being there for my wife, so take this as a thank you." Peter really did feel bad, just by looking in his eyes he could tell that he really cared for Aurora and he couldn't be mad at him. It was hard not to love her, she was the nicest person and the most lovable. She brought happiness wherever she went so this was his way of thanking him and also apologizing to the love of his life.

"I don't want your money Peter." Derek didn't want anything from this man. He grew to love Aurora and not just in a friendly way. All he wanted was for Aurora to leave him and she was finally going to but she ended up killing herself instead and he knew it was because of something Peter did or said that day.

"It's not my money, Aurora and I put away a trust fund when we decided to have kids but that didn't work out. I know it's all my fault but it's the least I can do for her."

"Thank you and she wanted me to give you something." Derek pulled out an envelope addressed to Peter. "She said only read it after you finished all of the other letters."

"She told you about the letter?" Peter asked confused.

"She mentioned that she liked to write her feelings down, so when she left me a note with this letter, I connected the dots."

"Thank you Derek, really." He said and left the building. He wanted to know what was in the final letter but he know he has to finish the other one's first. He promised himself that and he's not going to break anymore promises. He owed that to Aurora.

⚜️⚜️⚜️