Chapter three: In times of great darkness, hope will prevail

Aragorn's POV.

After she terrified me half to death and ran from the room I guessed Elayna needed space. I have been sitting outside her room for some time. The celebrations ended hours ago. Quietly, she leaves the room, concealing a bag on her hips. What the hell? She spots Éoywn sleeping in the main hall and stops to adjust her blanket. Seeing the fire is almost out I stop and poke at the embers before adding some fresh wood to it. Éowyn stirs and sleepily asks Elayna "What time is it?". To let her know that it is not a stranger following her I speak up. "Not yet dawn," my voice is quiet. Though I can see some of the tension leaving Elayna's shoulders. As Elayna went to walk away Éowyn grabbed her hand. "I dreamed I saw a great wave, climbing over green lands and above the hills. I stood upon the brink. It was utterly dark in the abyss before my feet. A light shone behind me, but I could not turn. I could only stand there, waiting," she speaks in a panicked whisper. "Night changes many thoughts. Sleep, Éowyn. Sleep...while you can," I speak softly, but firmly as I slowly take Elayna's hand away from Éowyn. Once we move away from her I quickly turn to Elayna.  Where were you off to?" I ask her. She smiles at me. "I just needed some air my love. Needed space to breathe," she explains, though I'm not sure I believe her. I nod and lead her outside where we see Legolas. "The stars are veiled. Something stirs in the east. A sleepless malice," he sounds worried as he turns to look at us. "The Eye of the Enemy is moving," he says in a fevered whisper. She hugs me tighter. The three of us stand there silent, watching for a little while.

After a few moments she gasps softly. "He is here!" Legolas exclaims as he and I run back inside. We burst into the room that Gandalf is sharing with the hobbits. Pippin is rolling around on the floor in pain clutching the palantír. I don't even think. I just grab the thing. There is a second of pain and confusion before I throw it across the room. Gandalf, moving quickly throws a blanket over the blasted thing before moving to Pippin and healing him. He gets Pippin to talk about what he told Sauron but thankfully, he said nothing and we get a glimpse of his plan. I turn to go and check on Elayna, once I make it outside I can hear the thundering of hooves. Éomer makes his way back up the steps. "I'm sorry Aragorn, I tried to stop her," he sounds anguished. I gasp and look out to see where a beam of moonlight hits a lone figure galloping away from Edoras, their pink cloak flying behind them. Just like that.... My heart shatters. "ELAYNA!". I scream for her, even I can tell how heartbroken it sounds. I watch until I can't see her anymore. Then I stand and storm to her room. Finding a letter addressed to me on her bed.

My love,

I find this so very hard to write and even as I do it's tearing my heart apart. I must go, I am too much of a burden and a distraction. He's in my head Aragorn, our every move would be watched. I need to go, for my sake and yours. I will not tell you where I am going because even I do not know. I need you to be strong for me my love. You can do this and you can beat this evil. I cannot write much more as my tears are blurring my vision and my heart is breaking anew.

When this is all over and we have won I will find you my love. I will always come back to you. Even if the worst happens and he catches me, I need you to know that having your love, having your heart is the most important thing to me. Your love will keep me going through any hardships I face.

Forgive me my love, this was not supposed to go this way.

Gi Mellon Aragorn, I love you.

My heart is yours,
Always,

Elayna.

The page shows evidence of the tears she speaks of and I can tell there are tears coursing down my face. Gandalf comes into the room and spots another letter for him. There are more people coming into the room and someone clears their throat. "She was pale and looked in pain. She also asked me to tell you she was sorry. I tried to stop hr but when I got close the horse reared and kicked out at me. I have failed you," Éomer's voice is sorrowful. I slowly turn to him. "You did not. You tried, I left her to fend him off alone and he probably threatened and terrified her. If anyone has failed it is me," I sound lost as I look around the room. She left without her weapons. One thing is certain, when all of this is over I will be coming for you Elayna! Never fear!