Chapter two: Return to Rohan

Elayna's POV.

I come to in a somewhat familiar room. I can tell I'm not alone, after what I have just been through I can always tell if someone else is in the room now. I slowly open my eyes , everywhere hurts, still! I groan and someone gasps. "Elayna?" I think it's Pippin. Turning my head towards the voice I see Pippin and Merry sitting beside me. They both look relieved and Merry gets up and runs out the door. I've got someone's shirt on as clothing, my guess Aragorn's. "H-how are you feeling?" Pippin asks softly. I smile, or at least I try to. I just end up splitting a cut that was on my lip. "I'm ok Pip. I'm ok," my voice still sounds scratchy, but much better now that I haven't had to scream in the past few hours. Pippin stands and walks over to a table, bringing me back a cup of water. I take a small sip and sigh at the coolness soothing my burning throat. I can see Pippin eyes roaming over me in horror. "I look that bad?" I attempt to make a joke and huff a laugh which turns into a small cry when my ribs protest. Pippin turns his head as I see a tear race down his cheek. I reach out to him and gently place my hand on his cheek. "Pippin, I'm fine, truly". He nods as he moves closer to me and gently wraps his arms around me. I close my eyes and rest my cheek on the top of his head. "A word of advice Peregrin Took! Never trust a woman who says she's fine!" A voice sounds from the doorway as I see Gandalf and Merry walk in. His eyes are assessing as he moves closer to me. "What happened?" he asks and I can feel my face fall as I turn and look away. "Many things happened Gandalf, you'll have to be more specific?" even to me my voice sounds cold and distant.

I feel a hand on my arm and then sigh as a warm sensation passes over me. Only until it hits my various cuts and broken bones. Then it stings and I start to scream. "Pippin, Merry, close the door!" Gandalf commands. They quickly do so as I continue to scream in pain as the deep cuts heal and bones knit themselves back together. A few minutes later the pain ends and Gandalf lowers himself into Pippins chair. "I can't fix the shallow cuts on your lip and arms, nor the bruises. We need to give people an idea of what they are fighting to save themselves from. I can however heal the deeper ones and fix the bones to try and lessen the hurt," he pauses. "But what I most definitely cannot heal is the mind. So you need to tell me what happened," his voice is soft and I look at him with tears in my eyes. "It was him Gandalf, the whole time... It was him," I don't have to say any more. Gandalf's eyes open wide in shock. "How?" he asks and I shrug. "I hear him now.... Every so often... In here," I point to my head. I quickly stand and move away from the bed. Just as a loud bang rings through the room. I scream and move to hide behind the dressing screen.

"Are you trying to terrify her some more?" Gandalf's voice is harsh. Whomever he's speaking to doesn't reply. Though a minute later Aragorn sticks his head around the screen. Once I see him I wrap my arms around his neck and start to cry. He feels safe, sturdy. He feels like home! He picks me up and kisses the top of my head as he moves back to the bed and sits down. "Elayna, you need to tell us what happened, right from the start!" Gandalf encourages. I nod and take a deep breath, telling them everything from the time that Gimli's horse bolted to when they arrived in Isengard. "Arcans, well that explains a lot," Gandalf muses as I rest my head on Aragorn's shoulder. His body is tight and shaking with rage. "It's over now. You saved me Aragorn. Please don't dwell on it," my voice is soft and as I speak I rest a hand on his cheek before leaning in to kiss him. He kisses me back but still grunts. "Tell me that when I can't see anymore cuts or bruises on you!". The three of us sit there in silence until Legolas, Gimli, Merry and Pippin come running back into the room. Aragorn passes me around together hugs from everyone and they tell me all about the battle in Helms Deep. Then Merry and Pippin tell me all about what happened and how they ended up with the Ents, the walking, talking trees I saw.  After another little while Éowyn and a few ladies come in, some carrying buckets of hot water, one carries a dress and the last lays my weapons just inside the door. When they catch sight of me their eyes widen but they say nothing. After a moment Éowyn ushers them and the boys out. Before he leaves Gandalf pours something into the water. "It will help prevent pain," he explains before he leaves.