Chapter four: Goodbye Théodred

Elayna's POV.
After making a complete fool of myself about Éowyn, Gandalf telling on me when even he should not have known that I fainted and both Legolas and Gimli telling me I still don't look well, Aragorn has not let me leave his side. This is how I found myself in the train of the fallen, a place usually only reserved for men. We follow behind as Théodred's body is brought to the graves of past kings, carried on the shoulders of Rohirrim. The women are up in front of us, at the mouth of the grave, a quick glance shows Éowyn is there too. As Théodred's body is passed through hands into the tomb, Eowyn bursts into a heartfelt chant. It's so harrowing that I move closer to Aragorn, who promptly wraps his arms around me as we watch on. "Bealocwealm hafað fréone, frecan forth onsended giedd,  sculon singan gléomenn sorgiende on Meduselde,  þæt he ma no wære his dryhtne dyrest and mæga deorost. Bealo... (An evil death has set forth the noble warrior. A song shall sing sorrowing minstrels in Meduseld that he is no more, to his lord dearest and kinsmen most belover. An evil death...)" Éowyn trails off as the tomb is closed off.

I stared at the door to the tomb, scared. That could have easily been one of us. I wonder if this would have been like the send off Boromir would have had. As the townspeople and the Rohirrim slowly peel away our group remains, alone with Théoden. Finally Legolas and Gimli start making their way back and Aragorn turns me to face him. "What you did back there was incredibly dangerous," he says. I turn my head back to where Théoden is staring broken-heartedly at his sons grave. "I know," I whispered. "Then why?" he says as he brings my eyes back to meet his. "It- I- by the time I noticed it the pain was unbearable. When Gandalf banished Saruman, I have never experienced pain that bad before. I was trying to make my way outside and the next thing I know I was on the ground," I said, praying he wouldn't ask more. "There's more," he said, looking straight into my eyes. I shake my head and he looks at me, his eyes say he doesn't believe me. "You stepped back into me when you saw Wormtongue, why?" he asks. "He looked insane, did you know he grabbed the knife from my trousers? Then when I woke up from fainting, he was staring at me, smiling. What have I done?" I whispered the last part softly as Aragorn pulled me to his chest. He leads me close to where Gandalf is standing with Théoden and they share a look. Aragorn kisses me softly before going back to talk to Legolas and Gimli, why do I get the feeling that it's about me?

I look back to see Théoden holding a white flower. "A Simblemynë. Ever has it grown on the tombs of my fore fathers. Now it shall cover the grave of my son. Alas that these evil days should be mine. The young perish, and the old linger. That I should live to see the last days of my house," Théoden cries, pain evident in his voice. "Théodred's death was not of your making," Gandalf tried to soothe him. "No parent should have to bury their child," Théoden cries and he falls to his knees. Gandalf goes to stand next to him and puts a hand on his shoulder. "He was strong in life, his spirit will find it's way to the halls of your fathers. Westu hál. Ferðu, Théodred, Ferðu. (Be-thou well. Go-thou, Théodred, go-thou.)" Gandalf said and they remained silent for a moment, watching the tomb. I start to make my way back to the keep when a horse crests the hill not too far in front of me. I watched on in horror as the horse stopped and a boy fell off the horse. "Gandalf," I yell as I hike my skirt and run. When I get there I see the boy is ok, no injuries but he is beyond exhausted. I turn my attention to the little girl still atop the horse when Gandalf gets there. She looks tired too. She also looks terrified. "Hello, sweetheart. My name is Elayna. What's yours?" I ask her in a soft voice. "My- my name is Freyda," she says and I smile at her. "What a beautiful name! Can you tell me your brothers name darling?" I ask as I hold out my hand for her to shake, instead she grabs on for all she is worth. "His name is Éothain. Is- is he ok?" she asks, scared again. "Yes my dear, he just needs some rest. I will bring him back to the keep, Elayna will go with you if that's ok?" Théoden said. I bowed my head in acknowledgement, with the grip Freyda had on my hand I wouldn't be going anywhere without her. I look up to see Freyda nod her head too as Théoden scoops Éothain up and he and Gandalf rush back to the keep.