Chapter seven: The Battle of Helms Deep- Part 2

Aragorn's POV.

I wake up quickly, not knowing how long I've been asleep but I know it's been longer than the two hours I initially told the guys to wake me up in. As soon as I exit the building I see Legolas, Gimli and Éowyn all standing around talking to each other. None of them look happy, what's going on and where is Elayna? I see Éowyn's eyes widen as she sees me and Legolas whispers something to her fast and she nods. As I walk towards them she calls out to me. "My lord! Aragorn!" she calls. "I'm to be sent with the women into the caves with Elayna," she sounds upset about this. "That is an honorable charge," I tell her, happy that Elayna will be out of harms way. "To mind the children, to find food and bedding when the men return. What renown is there in that?" her voice was breaking as she said this. "My lady, a time may come for valor without renown. Who then will your people look to in the last defense? Who will help stand with Elayna for the protection of your people?" I ask her. "Let me stand at your side," she pleads. "It is not in my power to command it," I explain again. "You do not command the others to stay! They fight beside you because they would not be parted from you. Because they love you. I'm sorry," she says angrily. Éowyn walks away towards the caves. "Éoywn!" I call out to her. She pauses and turns back, hope in her eyes. "Look after Elayna for me please," I say and I see panic in her eyes before she turns around and runs towards the caves. What the hell?

The guys and I head to the main courtyard where all those who have been recruited are being suited up and armed. "Farmers, farriers, stable boys. These are no soldiers," I say, angry that in his stupidity Théoden has endangered us all. "Most have seen too many winters," Gimli says. "Or too few. Look at them. They're frightened. You can see it in their eyes," Legolas said, not very quietly as all the men turn around and look at him. "Boe a hyn neled herain dan caer menig. (And they should be three hundred against ten thousand!)" he says in Elvish so as not to let the men know what he was saying. "Si, beriathar hyn ammaeg na ned Edoras. (They have more hope of defending themselves here than at Edoras...)" I say, trying to get him on side. "Aragorn, nedin dagor hen ú-'erir ortheri. Natha daged dhaer! (They cannot win this fight. They are all going to die!)" I can feel my anger rising as he says this. "Then I shall die as one of them!" I shout and I storm away. I wander around for a while watching the soldiers get into place along the wall. "Move! Move to the outer wall," a soldier shouts. Other soldiers yell things as they get ready. I see a boy near a little fire looking around frightened so I walk towards him. "Give me your sword," I say to him softly. The boy walks towards me giving me his sword. I take it from him.

"What is your name?" I ask him. "Haleth, son of Háma, my lord. The men are saying we will not live out the night. They say that it is hopeless," he sounds so worried. I get up and looks at the sword's edge. Then I swing it around. "This is a good sword," I tell him, handing it back to him. "Haleth, son of Háma..." I say to him, placing my hand on his shoulder and bending down to see his face, "...there is always hope". I decide it's probably time to go put on my armour so I make my way towards the armoury. One there I put on the chainmail that I was given, followed by my vest. I strap on my sword belt, tying it and my shirt. I go to pick up something else, but Legolas gives me my sword. "We have trusted you this far. You have not led us astray. Forgive me. I was wrong to despair," he says. "Ú-moe edaved, Legolas. (There is nothing to forgive, Legolas.)" I say now a lot calmer than I initially was. We put our hands on each others shoulders. Then Gimli walks in with a chainmail shirt on. "If we had time, I'd get this adjusted," he says as he drops the chainmail and it hits the floor. "It's a little tight across the chest," he says and I nod and I see Legolas smiles as we look at Gimli, who has trouble putting his arms down all of the way. Then we hear a horn.

"That is no Orc horn," Legolas says and we sprint to the front gate. "Send for the king. Open the gate!" a soldier shouts. "Open up the gate!" another shouts. Many Elves that came from Lórien march through the gate of Helm's Deep. As they walk in I see the soldiers are gaining hope. Théoden walks down some steps as Haldir approaches. "How is this possible?" he sounds astonished. "I bring word from Elrond of Rivendell. An alliance once existed between Elves and Men. Long ago we fought and died together. We come to honor that allegiance," Haldir says. I  approach Haldir. "Mae govannen, Haldir. (Well met, Haldir.)" I greet him before pulling him into a hug. "You are most welcome," I say thankful. As Legolas welcomes Haldir non-verbally the other Elves turn around and rest their bows against the ground. "We are proud to fight alongside Men once more," Haldir says. After a few minutes are spent  outlinging our strategies. As we make our way towards the wall I can hear Haldir and Legolas whispering to each other, casting glances at me every so often. What the hell is that about?