Chapter Eight

Picture: Darren Hart

Sam's POV:

The weekend drags on for what seems like centuries rather than a few days. Each day, anxiety built inside of me, knowing that not only would I have to face Kayden, but I would also have to face Darren.

When I went into my junior year, I had no classes with Darren whatsoever, but with a little talk from my father (and some money), I was able to have all my classes with my best friend.

Oh how that backfired.

"Sam, if you continue to pace I'm going to tie you to a chair," My half-awake sister tells me from the kitchen table, a cup of coffee in her hands. I, on the other hand, am pacing my kitchen, trying to figure out what to do if I was to bump into either one of them. I hardly slept last night, and what little sleep I did get was filled with nightmares about everyone knowing I was gay.

I roll my eyes and continue to make circles in our giant kitchen, biting my nails and tugging at my hair the whole while. "Shut up, Macy. I am nervous," I take a sip of my tea before running a hand through my hair. I planned to wake up extra early (not that it mattered, I was already awake) to look nice today. I brushed my hair at least fifty times to get it perfect, I ironed my clothes so they were crisp and looking flawless, and I even put a touch of makeup to cover the tiny blemish on my forehead.

Don't judge me, I need to look perfect for Kayden.

Oh Kayden... He hasn't seem to get out of my mind the whole weekend, his coco colored eyes always seeming to find a way to be wedged in my brain and flash before my eyes whenever Kayden started to drift from my mind.

"You're muttering to yourself," Macy laughs and talks a long sip from her mug. "You need to chill out little bro, it's not like Kayden or Darren are he-" My sis's voice is cut off by the doorbell ringing, causing me to freeze mid-step and go rigid.

"Coming!" Macy calls in a sweet tone before mouthing for me to smile. I hear her footsteps pad to the front door, and before I realize what I'm doing, I too am moving to the door.

"Oh... Darren," I hear my sister say in a cautious, loud tone, as if to warn me of my ex-best friends presence.

I freeze.

"Hi Macy," I hear Darren say to my sister, and I can picture the smile accompanied with it. "Is Sam-" His words are cut off and a loud slap that sounds throughout the house, making my eyes widen.

"How dare you, you heartless bastard!" I hear Macy yell, making my eyes widen even more and seem to unfreeze my legs. I rush towards a very pissed off Macy- who is glaring at Darren with venom in her stare- and a shocked Darren- who is holding his face and staring at my sister like she's gone crazy.

Darren notices me the second I walk through the hallway to get to the front entrance, and a look of guilt crosses his features. "What the fuck is going on?" I stare at my ex-best friend and best friend, waiting for them to say anything. They just stare right back, Mac biting her bottom lip with her eyebrows scrunched and Darren with a look of pure shame and embarrassment. "I know I am sexy, but stop staring at me. Someone tell me what just happened."

"I slapped his homophobic ass," Macy crosses her arms and shoots another death glare towards Darren, who happily returns it. "You can thank me later, little bro."

Darren moves his eyes from my sister back to me, remorse flooding every feature in his face."Sam-" I hold up a hand to stop him, I don't need to hear his story on how he is "sorry", when I know he isn't.

"Save it, Darren," I shake my head at him, not caring that he is literally on his knees. "I don't need to hear what you have to say, it will all be lies. You dumped me as your best friend because I'm gay. Do you understand how stupid that is? Get off your damn knees, Darren. You left me as a friend and that's the end." Darren's mouth hangs open, his eyebrows pulled together.