Not a Waste

Chapter 14: Not a Waste

"Hmmm, it smells wonderful in here." The sweet smell of flowers in the afternoon invigorated Sugar Boy. He inhaled deeply, relaxing against his chair while sipping a cup of tea.Some music would make this perfect. Meanwhile, Hughes jumped into a huge pile of flower petals in the middle of Knightwalker's room. "Whoa! Amazing. Its like a swimming pool, only with flowers." He grabbed a handful of the petals and a flurry of flowers fluttered in the air. "Hey look! It's raining!" He sprinkled some on Erza's face, but she remained unfazed by it. Sugar Boy dropped a sugar cube in his tea, and took a rather loud sip before adding three more. "Make it rain!" Hughes yelled. His chorus of " Make it rain" was accompanied by the loud slurping of Sugar Boy.

What is the meaning of this? Her lips twitched. Her room. Her only respite from all the madness that surrounded her was decorated with an assortment of flowers. The ceiling, the bed, the floor, even her…weapon collection rack were teeming with flowers. Flowers! Knightwalker took a deep breath. "Sugar Boy. Hughes." They turned their attention to her. "Yo, Erza! Want to swim inside this amazing flower pool?" As always, ignorant of the menacing aura emanating from her, Hughes innocently threw some more petals at her face. Sugar Boy, also oblivious to her current mood, offered her some tea. "You should try this, Erza. It's delicious." Of all the…She grasp every inch of her sanity to stay with her just a little bit longer, but it was squirming. Slipping. Her clenched hands trembled. Don't yell. You are at peace, Knightwalker. Peace. Peace. Tranquility. Yes. Good. More flowers petals splashed her way. Okay, that's all I needed.

A flowerpot made direct contact with Hughes' face. "What are you idiots doing in my room? And why the hell are all these flowers here?" The blonde Captain's ears rang from her high-pitched screeching. "Erza, I did not know your voice can go that hi—" His head dodged to the right as the pot whizzed past his head and onto the wall behind him. "Erza, please. Calm—" Sugar Boy ducked again. "Erza, these flowers are from his Majesty." Her manic throwing ceased. "We were only supposed to deliver the flowers here, but we ended up staying. We wanted to see your reaction." He quickly added, "Also, the petals, we were supposed to scatter them on your bed, but Hughes got carried away. Sorry about that."

"The King?" She chucked the remaining pot over to the unconscious Hughes. "Yes." He brandished out a regal scroll, usually used for important announcements around the kingdom, and unrolled it. He cleared his throat and spoke in a very distinct manner. "Captain Knightwalker." Sugar Boy began reciting. "A day without you…" He held up his hand up in a dramatic pose. "…Is a like a day without breathing. Where art thou, my lady? I need you." Her mouth hung open, speechless. "End." The armored Captain clapped with admiration as if it was the most eloquent and romantic thing he has ever broadcasted. "Hmmm, his Majesty's words were beautiful." Tears were swelling up at the edges of his eyes. "I wasn't aware that his Majesty was courting you. Our little Erza is growing up, isn't she?" Knightwalker's face reddened slightly. "Shut it!" Grabbing the ends of Hughes' boots, she dragged his limp body out her door. Sugar Boy shook his head. That was another mess he had to clean up.

"Leave."

"But we weren't done with the flowers. We have more." He announced.

She pointed to the door. "Get out, Sugar Boy." And slammed the door at his face. The Captain scoured the catastrophe that is her room and sighed exhaustively. "Tch. Courting? Preposterous." Her words, however, did not mirror the unspoken happiness she felt. "I do not have time for this." Casting a glance at the lustrous vase on her bedside table, a lone scarlet flower stood in the vase's center. It was different from the rest, as it was not clumped in with all the other flowers. Whether it meant something or not, she couldn't take a guess, but she did know that, for what its worth, his flowers elated her. Damn it! There it goes again. Loathing this type of jubilation, she began to pace back and forth. As the clock ticked by, restlessness was starting to weigh her down. Her will finally crumbled and she stomped out of the room.

Knightwalker barged in his office without warning. The thought of someone else with him never crossed her mind. "Your Majesty…" By the edge of his desk, sat Ultear, the woman from the dinner party before. They were engaged in casual conversation before she interrupted it. "Pardon for my intrusion." The sable haired woman granted her an amicable smile. "Captain Knightwalker. Long time no see." She held up a hand. "Don't fret. I was just ready to depart." She glided past the Captain, but not before slapping her back and said, "Posture. Good day, Captain. Jellal." The door shut, leaving the pair alone. Why was she here?

"Ah, Captain. I can only surmise the reason why you are here. You received my flowers! I was busy in the morning so I placed Sugar Boy and Hughes to the task. Did they read you my poem? It took me the whole day to compose." Poem? That was a poem? And the whole day? Were her inner thoughts, but she didn't dare voice them out. So instead, she delivered her next chosen words with a straight face. "Yes, it was…" She paused. "Moving." The King smiled happily, unsuspecting the sarcasm in her remark.

"Excellent. Check." His pen moved, scribbling something on a paper. "What are you doing?" She briefly got a glimpse of the note before he covered it. He wagged his finger. "Captain, no peeking. This is a list that I must do for you. After all, I am pursuing you, am I not? It must be done properly." Sugar Boy's courting comment from earlier looped in her head and her mind got foggy once more. "List? Let me see." The King bounced up his seat when she advanced right towards him. "Captain, be a good lass and…" Her first snatching attempt failed, as her second one. The third, her hand missed by a few centimeters. Soon, she cornered him against the wall. Using his height as a sizable enough leverage, he raised his hand to the air, with the paper in tow. With her patience growing thin, she came up with the only solution to her problem. She punched him in the stomach, and claimed victory. "Ha…" Her brow twitched.

"Ha, indeed. Captain Knightwalker." She wanted to wipe that smile off of his face.

"What is this?" The paper read, "Made you look." She only glared at him. "A curious woman, you are." His handsome smile infuriated her. "I am not curious. I do not care."

"Of course,you don't." Knightwalker's lips parted, but a finger stopped her from speaking any further. "Before advising me that I am wasting my time, know that anything that pertains to you is no waste at all." He reached out and stroked her cheek gently.

Then, he locked his arm with hers. "Now onto bigger things. Are you busy tonight? Do you fancy a romantic dinner with me? Yes? Splendid." Jellal exclaimed, answering his own question.

"Tch." However, for reason, she didn't mind at all.